New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*Yawn* Rip Van Winkle is awake!

What a lousy start to the spring. Snow, rain, hail, sleet and more rain. The ground under the boat is soaked. It'll be awhile before it dries out enough to be able to walk on it.

I did manage to get into the shed this morning to fix an air leak in one of my air lines & make myself a new filleting tool.

There's a few more pics & details our blog which I just updated:

M/V She:Kon: Yawn! Is it time to wake up yet?

Now I go see what everybody else was up to this winter. :facepalm:

Cheers!

Good post.Never thought about using a cue ball before.Interesting.You are a pioneer Rick.

I didn't get anything done over winter.My doctors don't like how my back issues are progressing and my weight loss has stopped.Since they advised me against boating,again,I bought a brand new motorcycle last month.I have 8, so I need to make some hard choices.:eek:

I came down with a major case of 'LazyAssedNess' which has kept me out of the boat shed for awhile. :ermm:

Anyhow, back at it yesterday and today getting stuff cleaned up & ready for more filleting & taping.

Workbench clean up was task #1

spacer.gif
img_330953_1_0f255c001e76ce4715e0116852b5a212.jpg

Little more stuff on the web log which I just updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/05/ther ... xcuse.html

Thanks for looking in. Cheers

Just caught up to this build: Very impressive especially in the conditions you have. Can't wait to follow along to see the end result!

Filleted the joint between the hull sides and the bulwarks. One layer of tape over that, wet on wet. I don't think this joint needs more than one layer. It'll get a couple more when the decks go on plus it's a lapped joint that was securely glued.

spacer.gif
img_331277_1_3a523a7b1ffbc99c04f4388c3a2f5a82.jpg

Having to ease myself into this. Didn't take long for the carpal tunnel to start acting up again and I was only rolling out epoxy on the tape. Sheez. Wearing a back brace this year that appears to be working really well so far. Getting old suks!

Tomorrow I have a little work to do on the stem with the sander then I'll tape it up real good and tape in the thruster tube.

Standby..

Good to see ya back in the saddle Rick. Too many newbies underestimate the time commitment involved in these projects. It's refreshing to follow a build where the builder acknowledges the down time. Keep at it. :thumb::thumb:

Anywho, I forced myself to haul my lazy ass out to the shed this morning. I have been puttering around in there. Little sanding here. Little taping there etc. Today's plan was to tape the stem. First chance to use the 'constant radius fillet tool' I made a few weeks ago.

spacer.gif
img_333017_1_bc316e62fcc799eb7e303cea347289a8.jpg

I have to say it worked really well. ;)

Web log updated with a few more pics etc. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/05/majo ... y-ass.html

Are you hanging around with Peter?He's wearing off on you.lol

Got a few more seams taped today. Won't be long and I'll be working with my head in the box keel. Not really looking forward to that part but it's gotta be done.

spacer.gif
img_336519_1_46fda4e88e4283eef7ee1264bc9d0630.jpg

I used the cue-ball fillet thingy again. This time I just laid down a bead of epoxy glue over the old fillets then laid on the tape. I went over the tape with the cue-ball after. It made a nice smooth fillet. Let it set up a bit then epoxied the tape. Seems to have worked pretty well.

Looking good Rick! Good to see you back.

Looking good Rick! Good to see you back.
Thanks dimer2. :thumb:

I think summer has finally arrived. I started out at my normal 9'ish and it was a comfy 70 degs F in the shed. By noon it was hovering around 80 F and at 14:00 it was well over 90 F in the shed. I tried to get the entire perimeter taped & epoxied but fell short when the heat got the best of me and the epoxy. I gave up when I started spilling epoxy all over the freaking place. :banghead:

spacer.gif
img_336806_1_507f6f29e21dbdf8d36ba28b930844c5.jpg

At least I got about 5 hrs in on the boat today. That's more than has been the norm lately. Felt like I had a lil' more stamina today. Will just keep pushing and get as much done as I can.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/05/if-y ... -heat.html

Good progress.You must have eat your Wheaties that morning.

:thumb: I knew there was something to it. :rofl:

The wife took this picture this morning. Another one of those 'WTF have I gotten myself into?' moments.

spacer.gif
img_339115_1_a0898cb5eb1f302a25bd66f12d3d0b77.jpg

I made a real mess in the box keel the other day so I was in there today sanding. PITA!

spacer.gif
img_339115_3_7331e01a73d8d587ed43a282df0a1992.jpg

So as you can see I don't fit in there very well.

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Out with the old

Lots more sanding in my future. Standby....

Could you lay some thin ply across the box keel and put a cushion on it to lay on?Is the keel to deep to do that?

Could you lay some thin ply across the box keel and put a cushion on it to lay on?Is the keel to deep to do that?
See, this is where I wish I had 5 or 6 grandchildren of various ages & sizes do do this kinda work for me! ;) The lil' ones you can hang upside down by their ankles to get into the really tight spots! :thumb:

See, this is where I wish I had 5 or 6 grandchildren of various ages & sizes do do this kinda work for me! ;) The lil' ones you can hang upside down by their ankles to get into the really tight spots! :thumb:

:lol: :thumb:

Oh no! I think I pulled a beer muscle! Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/06/thin ... uscle.html

Taping the hull bottom to the sides of the box keel. Three hrs of sanding and two hrs of taping, peel plying & squeegeeing! TaDa!

spacer.gif
img_340750_1_e8e94fd5d71580a5167e02bf374d496e.jpg

Some of the best tape joinery I've done so far methinks! Didn't pay any attention to the time though. Started at 10 AM and crawled in the house at 15:30. Skipped lunch. Blood sugar must have dropped quiet a bit, got sorta wobbly. :banghead:

Ok, playtime is over. Took the weekend off to go to Montreal and see a Rush concert. It had been 28 yrs since I last saw them live. Knock that one off the bucket list. Now it's back to work!

Made some dust and a little progress.

spacer.gif
img_343350_1_c32a96c746dc2223edd63cb708d99aa9.jpg

Not having much fun working in the box keel. :ermm: Toughing it out though. Made myself a little long handled block sander to reach down into the deep spots. Works pretty well. At least I don't have to stand on my head!

spacer.gif
img_343350_3_342895fc63d8c5c6730410d8b61f4dfb.jpg

Few more pics on the web log: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/06/play ... -over.html

Cheers

Got digging around in the garden shed to find what fiberglass I had on hand and looky what I found!

spacer.gif
img_343623_1_7e74829c26431983001e39aaa6cdf48e.jpg

It's a motor! Damn! Almost forgot it was in there! :rofl:

I'm short 12 oz 0/90 fiberglass for the inside so have to get that ordered. Things will slow down a bit till that arrives. :facepalm:

Web log updated with more pics & ramblings etc.: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/06/look ... found.html

That's a lot of work for a few hours by yourself.

Rick actually it's an engine and a very fine one at that. A 55hp JH I assume. Those soft Yanmar mounts allow a lot of movement. The engine will become sort of a blurr at idle. Yanmar says you need to replace those fairly often. If you have an Aqua Drive the Yanmar mounts work well but other mounts may be better depending on your driveline ... bearings, length and dia of shaft ect. If you have a fixed intermediate bearing close to the gearbox you probably should consider harder mounts. R&D are good. I use Poly Flex. See what Yanmar offers for engine installation guidelines. Oh .. and you may have two different densities on your mounts. The highest number goes where the greatest weight is. Usually the aft mounts that are supporting the beatbox and flywheel. Speaking of gearbox is that a Kanzaki gear? Very noisy if it is.

A 55hp JH I assume. Those soft Yanmar mounts allow a lot of movement. The engine will become sort of a blurr at idle.... bearings, length and dia of shaft ect. If you have a fixed intermediate bearing close to the gearbox you probably should consider harder mounts. .....Speaking of gearbox is that a Kanzaki gear? Very noisy if it is.

Hi Eric

Yes it's a Kanzaki, KBW20 (2.6:1). The engine, 4JH-TE, came out of a racing yacht in RI with only 300 hrs on it. As near as I can figure it was built in 1989. It will be fully serviced before it goes in the boat. I have to replace the mixing elbow and the only other part that concerns me is the heat exchanger. It'll get all new hoses, belts, impellers & filters.

We'll mount it on a new set of Vetus (K40 which might be a little light) isolation mounts and it'll run into a Python Drive (P60K) CV joint & thrust bearing. Python supplied me with a 1 meter extended shaft to accommodate the stretch in the hull. This will allow us to keep the same driveline geometry suggested by the designer. 1-1/4" Aquamet 22 shaft spinning a Michigan Wheel 18DX13P propeller.

I don't mind a little noise. It reminds you you're alive! ;)

Back
Top Bottom