Smart Plugs are .....well ...Smart!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FIREFLY
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I needed to replace my shore power cables as they are old, ratty and corroded so I decided as I was buying new cables (2X30amp) anyway that I would go with Smart Plugs©. I bought two 30A cables and 2 inlets from Shore Power Cords - Marine Electrical Connectors - Smart Plug Only as I found their price to be the lowest. Easy install and very well made product.

153860002.OXDhDHUQ.jpg

If you would like more reason as to why you should upgrade to the SP this is a great place to start.

Shore Power Cords - SmartPlug vs. 1938 Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

154070527.HnBbcc5t.jpg

For the already informed I apologize for the post but as new folks show up all the time I thought some information regarding safety would be helpful.

I also found great price on shore power cables if you need any at 30A Marine Shore Power Cords I purchased a 25' 50Amp and a 15"50Amp as well as a Y connector from them ,fast and free shipping and about half what marine stores charge.

Just passing on information, I have no connection with any of the above.

Have a fun and safe Summer folks!!

Regards

Those shore power cords are half the cost of the standard Marino product. How is the quality?

Those shore power cords are half the cost of the standard Marino product. How is the quality?

Life time warranty, Virgin vinyl and O2 free copper. Very heavy with plated contacts and in my opinion no different then Marino products. They have a built in indicator LED to show power.

I learned about them from a fellow at the dock, he has a full set that is 5 years old (he saw then at a boat show) I looked them over and they are completely unremarkable and no different then cords costing twice as much.

They are only available online from the company that imports them, having them made to their requirements (I spoke with the company owner in Ohio) so part of the savings is no brick and mortar store and low markup required to meet margins.

I am not displeased with them so far.

Last edited:
I check my electrical cord and inlet with a IR temp gun 4 times a year when there is a moderate to heavy load on the circuits. After switching to Smart Plugs a few years ago the temp is always at ambient temp, the old marinco 30 amp cords would typically run 5f over ambient. The 5f over never really concerned me, I made the change because of the ease of plugging the cables in and how they lock to the inlet. Living aboard it seemed a good idea for safety, after using for about 5 years they still look new and I would buy again.

I love my smart plug...rock solid connection , and well made.

Conall

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom