Need a new cell phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Squaretrade too, and a few years ago I arranged for a client of mine to be of their smartphone repair depots, so I have a small financial interest. However, if you are new to Apple iOS phones, I highly recommend getting Apple Care instead; the excellent over-the-phone support alone is worth it.

We have not had any problems with our Samsungs over the years. The wife just had to replace the battery in her phone which was easy and cheap.

Not sold on Apple at all. The kids use iPhones and one of them had a problem earlier in the year where we could not log into the phone. For a few days, the wife and I tried the instructions to get the phone to work that were published on the Apple website. From Googling, it was obvious we were not the only ones with this problem. The wife took the phone into work to see if her coworkers, who were doing mobile application development, could get the phone to work via the instructions but no joy.

Eventually, we called Apple to schedule a time to get the phone fixed. Apple was able to fix the phone by flicking a switch on their server. :eek::banghead: Apple had obviously done something to prevent the phone from working. They had instructions that identified the problem but had us waste DAYS of time trying to resolve something only Apple could fix.

NOT impressed.

The only time I had problems with my Kindle was when I was an early adopter of the Fire, and in spite of my usual refusal to be a technology pioneer, I did become a pioneer with the Fire and had a problem. The problem was NOT with the Kindle but with the application. Amazon handled the problem well beyond expectation and even gave me Prime for free for a year even though the problem was not caused by Amazon.

What did Apple give us for messing up our phone? Nada....

Later,
Dan

Not sold on Apple at all. The kids use iPhones and one of them had a problem earlier in the year where we could not log into the phone. For a few days, the wife and I tried the instructions to get the phone to work that were published on the Apple website. From Googling, it was obvious we were not the only ones with this problem. The wife took the phone into work to see if her coworkers, who were doing mobile application development, could get the phone to work via the instructions but no joy.

Eventually, we called Apple to schedule a time to get the phone fixed. Apple was able to fix the phone by flicking a switch on their server. :eek::banghead: Apple had obviously done something to prevent the phone from working. They had instructions that identified the problem but had us waste DAYS of time trying to resolve something only Apple could fix.

Don't be so quick to blame Apple. The issue may have been the work of your wireless provider or even actions your kids took causing a security lockout.

The usual issue causing this type of lock out is some one has reported the iPhone stolen or missing to the wireless carrier so as a security measure it is locked out. The serial number that was reported could have been in error or the person providing tech support could have mistyped it. I suspect the wireless carrier is the culprit.

Last edited:
Don't be so quick to blame Apple. The issue may have been the work of your wireless provider or even actions your kids took causing a security lockout.

The usual issue causing this type of lock out is some one has reported the iPhone stolen or missing to the wireless carrier so as a security measure it is locked out. The serial number that was reported could have been in error or the person providing tech support could have mistyped it. I suspect the wireless carrier is the culprit.

We had a very specific error message that linked with very specific instructions on the Apple site on fixing the problem.
  • The Apple instructions did not fix the problem
  • There were plenty of people on the Internet in search of a solution so this was not just us.
  • The problem was fixed by the Apple representative. Which is scary if you think about it.
  • Our service provider was never in the conversation.

Even if your idea is correct, Apple should have had instructions to CALL their service representative so they could flick a switch to solve the problem. Instead, they had very specific steps to take that did NOT solve the problem.

Not impressed.

Later,
Dan

Call me an Apple fanboy. Doesn't bother me a bit. Dan calls Apple after futzing around for two days, Apple fixes the problem in a couple of minutes.

Let's say I have a problem with my Windows 7 laptop taking 24 hours to install Microsoft's new updates. That's a real problem I am having. Is there a free support phone number for me to call at Microsoft? No.

Can I bring my laptop into a Microsoft store and have them figure out the problem? No.

Take a look at a 2 year old Windows phone. Is Microsoft keeping it current with new updates? No!

I have owned and been using MSFT-based computers since 1985. Apple products for the last four years. Apple blows the doors off Microsoft. Android copies Apple. I like the protected Apple ecosystem. That's just me. You get to make your own decisions. ?

You have to pay for Apple support after the initial warranty and you can pay for Microsoft support too. And Apple is as bad as anyone at obsoleting and not supporting their hardware (see: PowerPC) and OS (see: as recent as 10.6.8, and the apps like Safari that are compatible with it) versions, and having buggy and bad updates to the OS from old ones (good rule of thumb is to keep the OS version your machine came with, or waiting for update 2 or 3 of the next new one if you dare).

We have both Apple iMacs and MacBooks as our computers (and having to be replaced each with newer) for almost 10 years now, over half that time on the boat. They're not all that, IMO. I always said when we were cruising that they were the system on the boat that did its job the worst. Many was the time I was sorely tempted to float test them on several occasions. If you are away from big cities, repair is still hard to find. We have Macs out of habit (they both broke at just a moment when making a transfer back to Windows was not practical) , not love.

Call me an Apple fanboy. Doesn't bother me a bit. Dan calls Apple after futzing around for two days, Apple fixes the problem in a couple of minutes.

:rofl: Apple actually did not fix the problem that quickly it took a good hour or so on the phone.

We futzed around for days to fix the phone because Apple had information to fix the problem that simply would not work. It really is that simple.

We have not had to call for ANY support for our Android phones. No problems at all.

In spite of Microsoft's poor quality, we have never had to call them for support either.

Later,
Dan

:rofl: Apple actually did not fix the problem that quickly it took a good hour or so on the phone.

We futzed around for days to fix the phone because Apple had information to fix the problem that simply would not work. It really is that simple.

We have not had to call for ANY support for our Android phones. No problems at all.

In spite of Microsoft's poor quality, we have never had to call them for support either.

Later,
Dan

My case is similar to Robsters and we now have an iMac, a MacBook Air, two iPad Airs, an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 6. Have only had one issue where we had to call Apple and they fixed for free in a few minutes even though it was out of warranty.

My issue with Android is lack of a common baseline specially relating to security issues.

I still use Windows because I enjoy building PCs to my own specs and I seem to be grandfathered into MS Office.

The Admiral once lost her iPhone in the parking lot at the marina. We were able to find it an hour or so later using an iPad and the Find My iPhone feature. That really impressed me.

Have had Apple phones, my big gripe was the non removable battery (I think I heard they changed that now?) The linking to I-tunes, and the apple 32 pin connector for everything. Really limited accessability. Anyhow, I switched to Samsung Gallaxy and have never looked back. Currently using a Gallaxy S5 and love it!! I also have an I-pad which I purchased for travelling, but I stopped taking it, as the Gallaxy does a good job and with T-Mobile I have free data/internet virtually anywhere I travel in the Americas and Europe. (Only place I didn't have it was Gibraltar this trip!! Something to do with the fued between Spain and the UK over Gibraltar)!!.

One more suggestion that hasn't been raised yet - we've been using Google Nexus phones for a few years and have been very happy. That said, we didn't upgrade to the new Nexus 6, as it is too big. The big advantage for us has been no contract, so we are able to switch between carriers at will (primarily third party resellers). For the past two years we've been with Net10, which uses the AT&T network. Service has been great and price is very reasonable.

Donsan,
Could'a probably had a new engine in your boat for all you spent on Apple.

But I'd not go back to other PC stuff very soon.

And I give Apple two thumbs up for one on one help.

Donsan,
Could'a probably had a new engine in your boat for all you spent on Apple.

But I'd not go back to other PC stuff very soon.

And I give Apple two thumbs up for one on one help.

Doubt if it would come to a third of what a JD 4045 installation would run even including what I could get for selling the T6.354M Perky.

The Apple stuff lasts a long time. The admirals old iMac was 6 years old and still ran great but I had to get her something for Christmas and the JD wouldn't cut it! I count on a 3 year replacement cycle for Windows PCs. Microsoft seems to conspire with Intel to make certain you upgrade in 3.

I've never got more than 4 years out of an Apple computer (total of 6 in the last 25 years, with a long 15 year break into the Windows world mixed in there) and as noted in another post, usually it has been obsoleted by Apple within that time, and has had at least one trip to the shop.... failed hard drives, failed hard drive connecting cable, bad fan and ultimately bad mother board, bad battery. On the Macbooks, I count on buying an $80 Mag Safe charger every year or so due to flimsy cable. Among other things...

I have a client who has a fairly large business repairing broken iPhones, and not just due to being dropped or submerged.

Glad someone brought up Google's phones.
You may not be aware, but Google is launching it's own wireless service, called Google Fi.
What's unique about it is that you only pay for what you use, period, in terms of data. So $40 gets you unlimited voice/text, and then you pay $10/gig for data. So what's different?...if you go over that gig by 350mb?...you get charged an extra $3.50. No penalties.
Drawback, for some, is that right now, the service is only available on Nexus 6 phones. For data network, they put your traffic over the Sprint network.

For data network, they put your traffic over the Sprint network.

For boating along the east coast, Sprint is nearly worthless. The only one worse is T-Mobile. It's a good thing they only charge for what you use because more boaters couldn't get enough connectivity to actually use much.

We have both an AT&T and a Verizon cell and on the east coast we've had good signal with both.

I count on a 3 year replacement cycle for Windows PCs. Microsoft seems to conspire with Intel to make certain you upgrade in 3.

Geez, I only just stopped using a 1998 Compaq laptop (Win 98SE) last year some time. Some new stuff it wouldn't do, of course... but for the basics that were available when I got it, including Office 97, it worked pretty well.

The more current Win laptop is from 2009.

And then early last year I replaced a 2002 tower (Win XP SP3).

Hard to imagine replacing stuff every 3 years. I treat 'em more like cars; drive 'em to death, fix 'em once if necessary/possible, drive 'em some more...

-Chris

Google fi, which will only be offered on a Nexus device, will use Sprint, T-Mobile and wifi, it has circuitry and firmware built in that will seek the best available signal. Which includes voice over wifi as well, a T Mobile specialty.

Both Sprint ant Tmob have vastly improved their service along the boating lanes of the east coast, through tower buildout and roaming agreements, but have a long way to go. Check the online coverage maps for both voice and data.

Well, mobiles are like anchors: everyone's got their favorite. I have friends with android phones and I've played with them a bit. One of the most unintuitive devices I've ever encountered. My friends love them but they spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to do things.

Regarding Apple battery life we've had surprisingly good experiences with that. I bought an iPod so long ago I can't remember when. It's been at least eight or ten years and its original battery still lasts the entire length of a flight from Seattle to Washington, DC and is still going, so some six hours plus. I bought an iPad II some five years ago and its battery is still as strong today as it was when new. My wife has had her iPad Mini for at least three years now and same thing; battery life is unchanged.

Some of me co-workers have iPhone 4s and they've had no battery issues that I'm aware of. These devices tend to go out of date in terms of processor speed, operating systems, and other out-of-date features that cause them to be replaced long before battery life becomes a problem. And they have all become so cheap now that hanging onto one long enough to require a new battery is not worth it anymore. You end up with a device with a brand new battery that won't run half the stuff you want to run.

Never thought we'd see the day when Dick Tracy's fantasy comic strip "2-way wrist radio" became a consumer throw-away item but here it is.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I had no idea such strong feelings were on cell phones. I owe it to everyone to let you know what I got. I got the Desire 610. It was the best one that they offered for no charge swap. I did look hard at the Iphone but I just could not see paying that kind of money. If I did I would be like so many folks that are glued to their phone to get my monies worth. :) I know the one I got was not possibly the best choice but it works for me. Got Active Captain, TF and am looking at a Nav App now. Thanks again!

And what kind of anchor do you have? Oh, never mind.

RogerH, your phone is to small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough minutes.:D

HopCar, We have a BOAT anchor. :) Maybe that is safe enough.......

I just upgraded from a Samsung S3 to a Samsung Note 4 last night. I got it at Best Buy. They had a Samsung help desk their in the store. They transfered everything from my old phone to the new one. One thing I did not ask them to do was to set up my email. The gmail was easy but my work email which is through IBM is a real pain. This morning I went back to the help desk and asked fro help. They did it. He did say that it was the strangest set up he had seen. I asked if he was a Best Buy employee or a Samsung employee. He told me he was employeed by Samsung and told me if I ever had any questions just come on back in and they would help me. That is customer service. Allready loaded MX Marinier and Active Captain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom