Trawler Fest Essex from the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leaforge

Vessel Name
Nautibelle
Vessel Make
Elling E3
Hello All

Lots of interesting stuff to read - great forum!

SWMBO and I are over to New York for a few days next week, fortunately she does not need much persuading to oggle boats. That said, we plan to spend a couple of days at Trawlerfest looking for ideas and looking at boats. We plan to change our Elling in 12 months or so, I have an urge for a Nordhavn (we plan to go further afield) however my better half thinks the accommodation (salon) is a little lacking hence a good look at whats on offer.

The point of the post: is it best to rent a motor and drive up to Essex or is the train a viable alternative? What are the journey times and traffic like? got a hotel booked as close as we could get on Saturday night.

Many Thanks
Roy

There is an Amtrak/Northeast Regional (get a NE commuter ticket, much cheaper than Amtrak) train station in Old Saybrook, Ct which is about 4 miles from Essex. So it is quite doable by train from NYC and a cab to Essex. But where are you staying? Not at the Griswold Inn presumably which is a few blocks from the Trawlerfest marina but has probably been booked for months.

If you have to take a cab any distance to and from the marina, plus to dinner, etc then it might be cheaper to rent a car. There is an Enterprise agent (to use your term) less than a mile from the Old Saybrook rail station. You could easily walk or they will pick you up. That might be the best of both worlds- train to OS then rent a car to get around. The train will take about an hour, probably less than driving. And the car in OS will be a fraction of what you would pay in NYC.

I might be there Friday night. I keep my boat on a mooring in Essex, but I live about 1-1/2 hours away by car. I will send you a PM with my email and phone number if I decide to go and maybe we can link up for a beer at the Gris as we yachties call it ;-).

David

Given rental prices I would rent a car and just drive up. The closest is Griswold Inn Essex, CT, but do a search if they are full, plenty around.

Hello

We are planning to travel up to Essex on Saturday morning, got to get back to Newark for Sunday evening flight, so Saturday plus Sunday morning at the show. We did have problems getting a hotel, managed to get some place called the Sleep Inn some distance away.

Happy to hook up if anyone is around on Saturday night.

Roy

OF course if you take the train you will miss I-95 , which if not jammed is right along the LI Sound .

There is lots to do and see , after the boat show that is nearby in CT.

The Castle in the CT river is worth a look to see how folks lived pre IRS.

MTOA= Marine Trawlers Owners Association

MTOA was originally founded as the Marine Traders Owners Association to support that brand. The name was subsequently changed to something more generic and now welcomes all trawler owners. It is sort of the poor man's Grand Banks Owners Association ;-).

David

MTOA was originally founded as the Marine Traders Owners Association to support that brand. The name was subsequently changed to something more generic and now welcomes all trawler owners. It is sort of the poor man's Grand Banks Owners Association ;-).
David

That's funny.:rofl:

They'll have a membership booth there. Stop by for a few minutes and learn.
They always ask for volunteers to help and this is something I can finally do.

Hello All

Lots of interesting stuff to read - great forum!

SWMBO and I are over to New York for a few days next week, fortunately she does not need much persuading to oggle boats. That said, we plan to spend a couple of days at Trawlerfest looking for ideas and looking at boats. We plan to change our Elling in 12 months or so, I have an urge for a Nordhavn (we plan to go further afield) however my better half thinks the accommodation (salon) is a little lacking hence a good look at whats on offer.

The point of the post: is it best to rent a motor and drive up to Essex or is the train a viable alternative? What are the journey times and traffic like? got a hotel booked as close as we could get on Saturday night.

Many Thanks
Roy

Clearly I'm partial, but I think the Kadey Krogen has a better compromise of living space versus utility then the Nordhavn.

Clearly I'm partial, but I think the Kadey Krogen has a better compromise of living space versus utility then the Nordhavn.

Hi Richard

you hit the nail on the head, one of the reasons we are going to Essex is to view a 58 Krogen, from all the stuff I have read I agree that the living space is edged by Kadey Krogen, Nordhavn are not at the show apparently, which is a shame.

Unfortunately KK's are like hens teeth in the UK

Roy

I beg to differ. We have a ship ton of space and livability in our boat. :D

What size range are you looking at? Price range?

Also lest not forget when comparing wide body boats to ones with side decks. Our 47' has a deck on the stb side and the port side is cabin space. Some krogen shave no side decks, therefore a bigger salon.

Also lest not forget when comparing wide body boats to ones with side decks. Our 47' has a deck on the stb side and the port side is cabin space. Some krogen shave no side decks, therefore a bigger salon.

I take your point, we are just starting down the road of replacing current boat. we don't have many to look at in the UK and prices are higher. A 2007 47 is for sale at £695 ($10700) similar boat in Aus is £200K ish cheaper (no Stabs).

starting the buying journey with an open mind but Nordhavn is top of my list.

Cheers
Roy :)

I think there is a different design build concept between the Nordy and the KK.

With more outside travel in the UK, that could be a deciding factor.

I take your point, we are just starting down the road of replacing current boat. we don't have many to look at in the UK and prices are higher. A 2007 47 is for sale at £695 ($10700) similar boat in Aus is £200K ish cheaper (no Stabs).

starting the buying journey with an open mind but Nordhavn is top of my list.

Cheers
Roy :)

Yep. Weird the the way the market works. The one in Whitsundays doesn't have a stack which was a big deciding factor for us. We thought it "made" the boat. But if you like that one better, it would make a great shake down trip if you bought it!!:D

If you are interested in seeing any Nordhavn's as part of your trip, give the Portsmouth, RI sales office a call and see if you can set up a showing or two. I'm sure you are within an hour's drive of one or more viewable boats. Just set it up ahead of time.

Hello
Squeezed a lot into 6 days, New York was lots of fun and vibrant though a touch on the expensive side :eek:, mugged a few time by restaurant waiters. Essex marina was just picture postcard pretty.

The main event - Krogen 58 - made the trip worth while, what a magnificent boat, it is certainly in pole position in the next boat stakes!

What we learned.

1. New York drivers are nuts
  2. New York taxi drivers can get a cab into a space smaller than the car at speed
  3. Hung around central perk but Jennifer Aniston never turned up - sold a dummy
  4. The I95 north of NYC is the worst road on the planet, will send you over some tarmac when i get a minute.(i thought the roads in England were bad)
  5. Krogen was as good as expected
  6. Generally speaking show was a little light on boats
  7. Brokerage boats will attract 20% VAT when imported to the UK
  8. Brokerage boats are not CE (RCD) compliant - a major bummer!
  9. New boat take 14 months to build - Oouch
  10. Great Pity Nordhavn were not at the show - did not have chance to view any while we were over
  11. Got to come over again to fill in the gaps in October :thumb:
Loved America and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. very much looking forward to the return leg.

Roy

[*]Brokerage boats will attract 20% VAT when imported to the UK
[*]Brokerage boats are not CE (RCD) compliant - a major bummer!

Explains the price differences you pointed out above. Of course if the boat cannot be brought into CE compliance it's all pretty much academic.

Take a close look at used Nordhavn boats, some owners had them built to CE standards even when delivered to America. Or so I've been led to believe. A good broker could suss that out for you.

I am a little surprised. I thought the "blue water" boat builders like Krogen and Nordhavn build all of their boats to CE standards and can give you a certificate to that effect.

That is the way it used to be for blue water sailboats. Island Packets were always built to CE standards. But maybe it has changed and building to CE isn't worth it anymore for US builders.

Anyone know for sure.

David

if requested at build (for extra cost) yards will build to CE standard but generally speaking not. I could take boat to Europe and survey to change aspects of boat to achieve CE but is potentially very expensive.

I agree, that 58 Kady Krogen stole the show. At 2.9 mill, used, I doubt they sold it.

I think that krogen been for sale since they built it.. Is it the wide body one with no side decks?

The 58 at the show was sold it was a 2009 boat, it did not look 6 years old!

I think that krogen been for sale since they built it.. Is it the wide body one with no side decks?

The 58 at the show did have side decks, the later models in build now have an extended wheelhouse, not yet seen the plans.

The 58 at the show did have side decks, the later models in build now have an extended wheelhouse, not yet seen the plans.

Oh ok. The one I saw had the spring line cleats on the PH walk around decks.

We were looking at Nordhavn as well, the local guys at Nordhavn Europe can't be bothered to return emails - only 1 decent boat, a 47 in the UK at £650000.00 or $100750.00 in Monopoly money:angel:

We were looking at Nordhavn as well, the local guys at Nordhavn Europe can't be bothered to return emails - only 1 decent boat, a 47 in the UK at £650000.00 or $100750.00 in Monopoly money:angel:

Yeah, Nordhavn's brokerage isn't too good. I found while they're salesman are nice they generally don't know the boats like others.

If I was seriously looking at Nordhavn's I'd have a chat with James Knight. No affiliation other then a happy customer.

Back
Top Bottom