Restoring exterior teak rails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when I open the joints to caulk do I go completely through the board?

When I did ours, I went in ~ 3/8-1/2". Deeper and I think you could have a problem keeping a sharp edge on the teak and yet you are deep enough to get good adhesion between the TDS/teak and still allow for some movement.

I used a Dremal with #426 cut-off wheels.

Attachments

• 006 (2)a.jpg
    006 (2)a.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 77
Greetings,
Mr. BR. I wouldn't go completely through. One would want to maintain structural integrity. I would guess 1/4 of the total thickness would suffice BUT I defer to those who have much more experience than I do. In your case, you may have to remove the stainless rubbing strip depending on the final appearance you wish to achieve.
Ah, in reference to Mr. LM's post...If you use a Dremel wheel as shown you'll have problems maintaining the right angle bends you have mid-board. I would probably get a Dremel bit similar to: https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=196
and use it in conjunction with: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=566
and free hand your cut.

Last edited:
Thanks RT and Larry ��

Can anyone give me some help on time between coats for the West Epoxy 105+207. The West System site says you can apply up to three coats in a day but doesn't give any info on how long between coats. They also say that no additional prep is needed between coats. I have watched every West System video I can find and nowhere is there a hint about this.
On the wooden boat builders site they say one coat a day with sanding to a dull finish between each coat.

I'm confused..

Greetings,
Mr. BR. Beware of amine blush between coats of West System. Amine Blush - Bad Things with some Marine Epoxy Resins
After my current store of WS is used up I will not buy it again. There are several other brands of epoxy on the market that perform just as well without the amine problem. I suspect the reason WS is so popular has more to do with marketing than performance. WS is a good product, without a doubt, but it's not the only pickle in the barrel...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom