Riser problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henrymei

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
attachment.php

I have 48 inch long fully jacketed risers on 3208TA CATS. They are copper jacketed. Is it reasonable to use a dry riser wrapped in fiberglass tape for most of the run using stainless ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A side note re the stainless... when I switched to stainless, with the whole run to the water mufflers on the Beast (gasoline engine) the noise went up dramatically. I'd had rubber hoses after the risers and with the new risers, well, they were taller with an exit direct aft versus downward slant.

Of course the old hose didn't fit. Thus stainless. And a lot more noise.

Nothing to offer re the specific question... just throwing this out as an aside.

Thanks Janice. That is very interesting to me. The boat has no mufflers but the noise is not a problem. I think the current risers might have something to do with that. The run from the engines to the exhaust on the stern is probably about 25 feet. I thought the length of the run was keeping the noise down. Now I wonder about the role the risers are playing.
Henry
PS The local fabricator has a two month wait!

Cant tell much from the pIX.

The most important issue is where the water enters the system. It needs to be well down from the top so that it cant back fow into the engine. I don't see any reason that heat wrap cant be used but the shorter the section before water enters the better IMO as long as rule 1 is not violated

You can also make the riser from black iron pipe and standard pipe fittings. Much cheaper than stainless and will last for a long time. Wrap it in fiberglass and you will be good to go.

So, I brought the risers back to Marine Manifold in Farmingdale, NY. At first glance they look pretty good. They are going to repair some damaged areas from trauma , pressure test and we should be good to go.
http://www.marinemanifoldcorp.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom