Help out Janice142 if you can

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Janice has been stranded in Carabelle FL for quite some time struggling with her engine replacement, so I thought it would be nice if members wanted to help replenish her cruising kitty. I don't think she would ever ask for monetary help, but I noticed she has a place on her blog to take PayPal donations. It's at the bottom left of her blog.

Janice aboard Seaweed, trawler cruising on a nickel budget...

I sold a few cars last month and I'm not hurtin', so I made a donation. If anyone can spare a few bucks it would be nice, and possibly increase your Karma if you donate!

I know I've been helped by TF members more than I've been able to help in return (because I don't know anything so can't give advice), so this was a way I could actually help someone. Let's help get Seaweed back under power!

I hope this isn't against any TF rules.

Last edited:
Wasn't much, but we helped too. Thanks for the idea Cardude01

I hope this isn't against any TF rules.

As one formerly charged with interpretation of those rules, nothing out of bounds here IMO.

If I recall there is a way to purchase Amazon via her blog too. Smile program I think?

I'm not sure how that Amazon deal works. Do I go to Amazon from her site?

On the upper left hand corner of her site is an amazon sign. I'm not sure, but I think if you enter Amazon from there, then purchase something, she or her site gets a kickback....let me know how it works...I buy from Amazon a LOT!

Good idea, Cardude. I also have a couple of solar panels and a controller that I've been thinking about donating. I'll check out the Amazon thing as well.....I use Amazon frequently.

Well gosh, and thank you. I am a lot overwhelmed by the generosity of Knowledge offered here. This goes beyond that, and is very much appreciated.

It opens options to me that I have not had. I am grateful. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Just made a small donation. I read Janice's blog from start to finish this winter. It allowed me to live on a boat vicariously through her stories and eased the pain of being away from my boat. :thumb:

On the upper left hand corner of her site is an amazon sign. I'm not sure, but I think if you enter Amazon from there, then purchase something, she or her site gets a kickback....let me know how it works...I buy from Amazon a LOT!

Thank you wyoboater... and you're quite correct. Anything purchased through that link earns me a small percentage. Everything helps -- even one cent books. I certainly do appreciate all purchases.

Besides, Amazon is fun. I will not discuss my eBook addiction. Thank goodness for my Kindle and those classics (all free!)

As for this thread, well, thank you. It's really very nice of you to think of me. I appreciate that.

Wow. Great job everyone. The generosity of this TF group never ceases to amaze me.

Janice, I follow your blog and respect the life you've chosen and even more the way you post it. Since I don't have the technical knowledge to help in your current venture, I"m glad there are other ways to contribute. Both my wife and I are rooting for you!

Janice,

I would ordinarily be glad to help out with your sorry situation, but lately I am pretty short on boat cash myself.
But, just to be clear, if I route All of my weekly Amazon orders through your site from here forward, you will Always get a percentage? Sounds like an easy way for all of us that want to help to do so without directly impacting our own boat budget. I am on board with that!

And does it work if I link to Amazon from your page and then log in to my Prime account?

That Amazon thing does seem like an easy, painless way to donate.

I was reading through the first part of your blog and it seems you are having to custom make a lot of the external parts on the tractor engine. Would or could a Yanmar engine be more economically marinized. I know you are vested in this tractor motor but I know of a 2 cylinder Yanmar that can be had for less than $200. It came out of a ThermoKing refer. Let me know what you think as sometimes you have to go with what you can get reliable parts for. Also I have some water pumps out in my garage which are available to you for free if you need them. I'll go pull them out and make a list of what I have.Larry

But, just to be clear, if I route All of my weekly Amazon orders through your site from here forward, you will Always get a percentage? Sounds like an easy way for all of us that want to help to do so without directly impacting our own boat budget. I am on board with that!

That's exactly how it works Delta Jim, and thank you.

There is always a percentage, and even one cent books help. You see, in addition to a percentage, the program is tiered. Thus once I hit the next level (30 items notches me up) then the percentage increases.

Thank you. Yes, go for it. Please do. I appreciate that.

I was reading through the first part of your blog and it seems you are having to custom make a lot of the external parts on the tractor engine. Would or could a Yanmar engine be more economically marinized. I know you are vested in this tractor motor but I know of a 2 cylinder Yanmar that can be had for less than $200. It came out of a ThermoKing refer. Let me know what you think as sometimes you have to go with what you can get reliable parts for. Also I have some water pumps out in my garage which are available to you for free if you need them. I'll go pull them out and make a list of what I have.Larry

This engine should be just fine for the purpose. I'm of the belief that most boats are seriously overpowered. Indeed Seaweed was for certain but others are too. The BOB was rated 15.5 hp and at just better than 1/2 throttle went 5 knots with nary a ripple.

The Kubota is 18hp. I'm not going any place fast anyway. If I wanted that I'd have bought a different hull shape.

I did look seriously at an Alaskan24 (outboard powered) but preferred the head location on Seaweed. It's in my cabin down below. The Alaskan has it in the galley just before the door to the cockpit.

And the Alaskan24 shower was in the head so I'd get to wipe down the head every day when I wash my hair. That would get old the first time. Seaweed has her shower in the middle so with the shower curtain I'm set.

Have I mentioned I'm spoilt? This is a wonderful boat for me. I truly am blessed to have her. Just a few little tweaks and she'll be almost perfect. :)

Though the offer for a Yanmar is lovely, we're closing in on completion with the Kubota. This one is 3 cylinders too, which ought to mean less vibration if I understand the nuances of it.

The best part of the recent fiasco (this past week specifically) is now the mechanic is on notice. He's being watched and production is what counts. Talk is talk.

I look forward to a successful completion and the beginning of sea trials. Tomorrow I'm going to nail down the timetable. Wish me luck, and thank you again for the information on that Yanmar.

For the time being I'll stick with the Yanmar 60 amp alternator (presuming it fits) that a friend mailed to me today. Rick has a 40' trimaran named Bemused (I love that name) and upgraded to a Balmar120.

I'm hoping it will fit. :)

Life is good afloat. Thanks again, for everything. Truly TrawlerForum is a TrawlerFamily. I appreciate all efforts on my behalf. It's made a difference -- just the knowledge shared is critical for success. I don't know it all (not a teenager anymore/still wish I knew half as much now as I thought I knew then!) and the collective wisdom here is amazing.

Thank you one and all.

J.

P.S. -- Yes, as long as you start on my page, signing into AZ Prime, all purchases through them count. If you click buy on AZ, I win.

Enough about me and my stuff. There's lots on TF to meander around and I intend to do so now. Life is great afloat. :smitten:

Jan

Done, I wish it was more. As much as you deserve would be my wish.

Thank you for your words in this forum and in your site!

Portuguese

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom