Getting Your Partner to Like Boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin wrote:

My wife served in the Navy and although at that time they were not assigning women to ships' crews she had a pretty good exposure to the "water" side of the military. Her father had a small trailer boat he used for fishing in Puget Sound and my wife frequently accompanied him. We started flying floatplanes up the Inside Passage in the mid-80s and between that and what the Navy had taught her about navigation she became very familiar with getting us around the region. She is particularly good with charts and maps.

All this knowledge and experience carried over for both of us when we got our 17' Arima fishing boat. Ditto when we got the Grand Banks. Today she routinely cons the boat. She holds a course more accurately in fog than I do, which is why when we're in fog she takes over the boat. The only thing she is reluctant to do is dock it. She can operate and interpret the GPS plotters and radar. During docking and undocking maneuvers she is in charge of the deck and handles the lines and fenders and, when we have guests aboard who can help out, gives and explains their assignments to them.

When we bought the Arima the first thing we did was take the USCG Auxiliary multi-week boating course at North Seattle Community College. While some of it covered material we already knew, there was a lot of new material ands simply being exposed to all of it was well worth the investment of the time. In this area (at that time) we had heard the USCG Aux course was considerably superior to the USPS course, which is why we chose the USCG Aux course.

Bottom line is that she is as at home on and with the boat as I am.

We have a rule when running either of our boats that I learned from Bob Hale, the publisher of the Waggoner Guide, probably the most popular cruising guide for this area. He explained to me that the rule he and his wife follow is tha whenever they don't agree on a course of action--- which side of an island to pass on, where to anchor, which path to follow through a narrow pass, etc., etc., etc., they stop the boat until they do agree. Given the knowledge and experience my wife has amassed over the years in both float flying and boating, I have found that it is well worth listening to her when she has an opinion on what we ought to be doing. Nine times out of ten, she's right.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 16th of December 2010 05:09:05 PM
MarinMy guess, is that you, like me, find both satisfaction and concern in the fact that they are usually right. Rather disconcerting, don't you think?

Carey wrote:
MarinMy guess, is that you, like me, find both satisfaction and concern in the fact that they are usually right. Rather disconcerting, don't you think?

I used to think that until I realized that if my wife is right then I don't have to be, which saves me all the time, effort, and hassle of being right myself.* I can just kick back and let her be right.

Marin wrote:

Carey wrote:

I used to think that until I realized that if my wife is right then I don't have to be, which saves me all the time, effort, and hassle of being right myself.* I can just kick back and let her be right.
Hmmm...??? You may be onto something mate.*
smile.gif

Maybe the above philosophy is partly behind the reason RTF seems happy to accept the following somewhat....on the surface of it.....sort of a one-sided arrangement.....

RTF wrote.... "When me and the mrs's are out in our launch it's 180 degrees different. I do all the chores and she lies along the starboard side sipping cocktails. At home, I do all the chores and she lies along the port side sipping cocktails. Ah yes, boating sure has a way of turning things around.........
These anecdotes from you all illustrate what good can come from couples working together. After all, a marriage/relationship is NOT 50/50 it's 100/100. Or in my case 200/000."

Back
Top Bottom