Flybridge plexiglas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yammie

Hi:
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase the Plexiglas that wraps around the front of the flybridge. I have a 1979 34 Mainship. I could try to cut a piece myself but not sure what the results would be like. The main piece that I am looking for is the left side. Thanks

I don't know your dodger configuration, the boat yes, but not to that detail.

You should be able to find plastic fabricators/distributors in most metro areas.
Some dodgers are bent and formed as part of the installation and take some skill.

If there is a good boat repair yard where you are there likely will be someone in the area that fabs. and/or sells Plexiglass.

It can be learned with some care but without knowing exactly what it looks like I cannot say.

If the material is tinted as many are then the new piece likely will be quite apparent as the sun will have faded the material.

I replaced mine about 6 years ago the original sections were badly fogged and scratched. I bought a sheet of light gray tinted Lexan locally. Using the old parts as templates traced and cut them out with a jig saw, using a blade made to cut Lexan, maybe a regular blade would work as well but the place I bought the Lexan recommended that one, Also a tool to scrape smooth the cut edges. Then I drilled the holes as required and put it in place. It fit fine and the lexan is about like the day I put it in, no crazing, fogging or fading.
Mine had no sharp bends. you can see it, the lower section, below. this is "Before" replacing with Lexan, sorry right now I can't find an "after" picture, if I do I'll post that later

Attachments

• Gumbo windshield.JPG
    Gumbo windshield.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 95
I took my pieces to a glass place who didn't really want to do it at first but a little nudging worked.

By letting him trace and cut the pieces of lexan. That way, he took the risk of a bad cut and the material charge was cheaper by the same amount for labor as I didn't have to buy a "sheet" and pay the shipping.

Hi:
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase the Plexiglas that wraps around the front of the flybridge. I have a 1979 34 Mainship. I could try to cut a piece myself but not sure what the results would be like. The main piece that I am looking for is the left side. Thanks

Try Plastics America. I replaced mine a few years ago. They did a nice job and were reasonable in price. They are a national chain, not sure how close they are to where you live. They can even bend to your specifications. Remove your old one and take it to them to use as a pattern.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Capt. Don

And the Admiral was just asking me how do we replace the old plastic wind windows....Good timing!

Find a local business that can cut it with a water jet! It should only be a hundred bucks or so... I will tell you that no matter how good you think you are with a jigsaw, a automated water jet will kick your ass. Find a local plastic house (my water jet guy even got the sheet for me) and lay it out with a simple drawing program so they can enter it into their CAD system for the cutter. You need to drill the hole quite a bit bigger than the screws to allow for expansion and contraction of the material too.

BTW... Don't use plexi... Use acrylic. And taper the holes to prevent spider crack from forming. Just take a little time and do it right. You will be happy you did.

This was one of the last projects I did before we sold our boat, and I was so happy with it. Gimmie a minute and I will see if I can find the thread I posted here about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom