Filling Perkins T6.3544m with coolant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duvie

I recently serviced my manicooler. Drained the coolant at the plug just above the starter as I have seen posted here. Seemed like I got out the 8 gallons the engine is supposed to hold. When I put things back together the engine only took about 5 gallons of coolant. Thought I saw a post some time ago that said you need to burp the system at some location on the engine but I can not find a post here nor on Boatdiesel. Does anyone know the procedure for fully refilling the coolant on this engine. The workshop manual is no help either. Thanks, Leon

Perkins engines benefit from refilling from the same plug you drained from using a hand pump. That way the air gets purged out the open top cap.

I recently serviced my manicooler. Drained the coolant at the plug just above the starter as I have seen posted here. Seemed like I got out the 8 gallons the engine is supposed to hold. When I put things back together the engine only took about 5 gallons of coolant. Thought I saw a post some time ago that said you need to burp the system at some location on the engine but I can not find a post here nor on Boatdiesel. Does anyone know the procedure for fully refilling the coolant on this engine. The workshop manual is no help either. Thanks, Leon
That may be something specific to Range 4 engines with Manicoolers.

My 1976, 6-354M's are pretty straight forward. Just fill the cooling system to the level on the expansion tank, with cap on bring up to operating temperature and then check the fill level.

On ours, the manual says to open the bleed valve on the turbo until it starts coming out there and then open the vent plug on the coolant tank. We've found 2 probelms with this:

1. the angle of the engine causes the plug on the tank to be above the cap so it floods at the same time!

2. we still found it was thirsty after BRIEFLY running it and then re-checking the level. make sure it's cooled off or else you will be in for some trouble!

I (Gabe) will call Em to see if she can take a picture of the manual for you. I wont be home until saturday

Drain valve or plug location?

I have been searching for the proper plug to remove to drain the existing coolant and feel unsure of what I find. Could someone take a phone photo of the plug and post it. The shop manual hasn't been any help.
Thanks in advance,
LAK

There are two... Look UNDER the BOTTOM SIDE of the fresh water heat exchanger tank (where you put your coolant. Towards the rear and just above the starter is the main one. It's a square-head plug and you need to be a little careful removing it. I found a smaller plumber's pipe wrench the most effective. I also used a small amount anti-seize when I re-installed it.

There is another one further forward on bottom of the tank, but TBH, I never used it.

Pictures

I placed a valve on my drain. Attach a hose and no spills. Plug valve after use. You can see the location of the drain in both pictures. Look for the brass valve above the starter.

I guess I was full all the time. Thought I took out more than I put in but I guess I was wrong. Took a few our cruise the other day and no issues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 183
Duvie: Diesel shake has a history of breaking pipes extending from the block with weight on the end.

Stay alert.

Awkward

I placed a valve on my drain. Attach a hose and no spills. Plug valve after use. You can see the location of the drain in both pictures. Look for the brass valve above the starter.

I guess I was full all the time. Thought I took out more than I put in but I guess I was wrong. Took a few our cruise the other day and no issues.

Thanks,
I had a mechanic help me locate the lowest drain point and it is nearly impossible to reach. He suggested that I open the line to the water pump which is very nearly as low and see if that will drain the greater part and flush fresh water through the engine several times to purge the sytem and recharge the system after the second purge.
These are great old engines and apparently they have a great many different accessory configurations. My starter is on the other of the block side from the drain plug.

Back
Top Bottom