Need a new cell phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
OK, i need some quick help. I have been given a choice of 3 different phones to replace my dinasore. LG Expression 2, HTC Desire 610 or the Nokia Lumia 635. What would be the best choice for a TFer. Considering need for photos, access to TF and Active Captain and some Navigation APs/programs.
Thanks for your input.

Get an iPhone. You'll have better choices for boating apps. That might change in the future. But today, it's true.

The worst choice is the Lumia. It's a fine phone but the support for it is pretty low in the app world right now, especially for boating.

Thanks Jeff, those were the choices of phones they gave me for a free replacement. When I go in I will check on what they will charge to upgrade to Iphone. Of the 3 that they provide free I was leaning toward the HTC 610. But will look at other options.

I agree with Jeffry. There's the iPhone and then there's everything else.

My wife and I have iPhones and iPads and they are terrific for accessing things like Active Captain.

Last edited:
Galaxy Note 5. Worth the wait until August [release date]

I can't speak to the three options you mentioned, but I have had very good luck with iPhones. I did stray last year and went with a Samsung Galaxy S5, which was a complete disaster. My iPhone 6 has a good screen size and does everything well. The Samsung does take exceptional photos though.

We each just got an iPhone 6 but I still can only post one pic at a time . I'm missing something . Maybe my granddaughter can help me .

Love my I-Phone 5s, next phone is the 6+ I like the larger screen. Cant beat an I-phone and Gamrin Blue-chart app for on the water Nav.

My vote is for the iPhone 6. Works great, good battery, nice ergonomics and well thought out.

I switched over to the dark side a couple months ago, bought an iPhone 5. Love it, its pretty easy to figure out, and is fast. Girlfriend has the iPhone 6, the large model. Too big for me, won't fit a shirt pocket.

If you want it to just work, get an Apple. If you wish to figure out how to make it work, get anything else. Been there, done that.

Love my I-Phone 5s, next phone is the 6+ I like the larger screen. Cant beat an I-phone and Gamrin Blue-chart app for on the water Nav.

If you want the BlueChart app, and it looks like a great app to me, I'd use it on an iPad. The I6 would be a distant second place. If they come out with that app for the other half of the marine community (non-fruitys), I'll buy it right away.

Get the phone that makes the most sense to you. I'd be cautious about that first step down the Apple Yellow Brick Road. I hear there are few who ever return once they get you in their grip!

Get the phone that makes the most sense to you. I'd be cautious about that first step down the Apple Yellow Brick Road.

Yeah...Non replaceable battery? Not for me, but I tend to keep my phones for years. With Apple you're locked into that replacement schedule due to non-replaceable batteries. (they can be replaced, but at considerably more cost than something like a Samsung S4-S5 which will cost you <$10))

If you want the BlueChart app, and it looks like a great app to me, I'd use it on an iPad. The I6 would be a distant second place. If they come out with that app for the other half of the marine community (non-fruitys), I'll buy it right away.

Get the phone that makes the most sense to you. I'd be cautious about that first step down the Apple Yellow Brick Road. I hear there are few who ever return once they get you in their grip!

I do have a IPad that I use it on. But for quick position checks while in bed off watch underway it's nice to see how far you are from your waypoint and where you are. My TV's also repeat my TZT which makes it a little redundant but that doesn't matter.

I also just discovered an App called Transas Isailor. Transas is mostly know for they're commercial marine electronics products (from what I hear are great) . Sadly I think it's only Apple supported.

Well, I was disappointed with my iphone - I left it in my trouser pocket when they went through the was and after 20 mins in a front loading machine it wouldn`t work - looked really clean though:banghead:

Getting back to the OP's question, take the HTC for what you want to accomplish. Only one of the three with Android and thus the apps. HTC makes a good quality unit as well.

I hated my iphone. Love my Samsung 5s active, and it's waterproof.

My thoughts exactly.
From what I understand, there's a new version coming out around the EOM, mil-spec, water proof, etc.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note3.
Not going back to it.

Don't care for "i' anything.
Don't care for proprietary nonsense.

Really bad experience with last Nokia, and I mean last. Happy with Samsung, my older 3 got wet last week, looked dry inside, but watching, still ok. Admiral loves iphones, the newer the better.

Rogerh, now you've done it. We're going to have to place phones on the banned list along with guns and anchors. Your phone is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough apps.

Yeah...Non replaceable battery? Not for me, but I tend to keep my phones for years. With Apple you're locked into that replacement schedule due to non-replaceable batteries. (they can be replaced, but at considerably more cost than something like a Samsung S4-S5 which will cost you <$10))

Unfortunately, the Samsung S6 is going non-replaceable battery, too. I just replaced my 4+ yr old SII with an S4. The SII ran great but the software became obsolete and the new apps and updates couldn't run on it. Even the Costco app was rendered useless!! The S4/5/6 are so much better than those of a few years ago.

With the release of the S6, I bet the S4 goes on sale for cheap...if it hasn't already.

One nice thing about an iPhone is that you can walk into any Apple Store and get a problem resolved or a repair made. Even if you bought it from a retailer like Verizon etc. try that with any other brand.

One nice thing about an iPhone is that you can walk into any Apple Store and get a problem resolved or a repair made. Even if you bought it from a retailer like Verizon etc. try that with any other brand.

Well if there happens to be an Apple store handy. Really doesn't make much difference. Regardless of brand or carrier, there are a lot more of any of ATT, Verizon, even Sprint and T-Mobile, plus Best Buy and WalMarts than Apple stores. Then there's the whole "genius bar by appointment only" issue in the bigger Apple stores (which are great stores).

Sounds like you dont desire a phone , but an entertainment center.

For a phone the "Chat & Chuck " $20 special with 100min does the job.

OK, i need some quick help. I have been given a choice of 3 different phones to replace my dinasore. LG Expression 2, HTC Desire 610 or the Nokia Lumia 635. What would be the best choice for a TFer. Considering need for photos, access to TF and Active Captain and some Navigation APs/programs.
Thanks for your input.

iPhone 6 (not the plus) hard to beat. I luuurve mine, and it can do all the things you want - has a great built-in GPS and the screen is about as large as you would ever want in a phone.
If pushed to name a no 2, I'd have to say HTC with Android...

Last edited:
A quick follow up to my original response.
I got the Samsung Note3 because I thought it would be a good business use phone. All the bells and whistles I needed for work. Camera for sharp on the go pics in the field, a built in scribe for signing docs and such, large screen for ease of use and viewing GPS, text, e-mails blah blah blah...

A year + later, probably won't do the note again.
The overall size makes it clumsy, and to big to handle in one hand easily when texting or emailing, at least for me. The screen is really not all that much larger than the standard Samsung, and I've only used the scribe a couple of times.

I like the mil-spec and water proof features of the new Samsung coming out the EOM.

Time will tell.

OD

Of the three you were offered, take the HTC. In a perfect world, I am an iPhone guy. Do NOT get a Windows phone. Terrible support. MSFT just does not get it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom