Stevie Ray Vaughan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ulysses

Guru
Vessel Name
Ulysses
Vessel Make
Romsdal 1963
I am reminded of Stevie Ray's "Texas Flood" today. I would advise against crossing the Brazos or Colorado Rivers in Texas today.

Man are they really getting it over there! At couple of our Manatee buddies(Phil and Judy aboard Hey Jude) are lake-locked in Texas. At this rate, they won't need to truck their vessel to the Gulf!

I'm reconsidering Texas as a retirement location. Drought & fires, now floods. When are the locusts due?

I am wondering if the Battleship Texas is floating again.

The locusts and all the other bugs won't get here until the water level drops a bit. I currently live in Beaumont (80 miles E of Houston)...and as of this am, Houston was still flooding. My boat is in Fulton, Tx (near Corpus Christie) on the hard for some fiberglass work..the yard hasn't been able to touch it for over a week. Sorta good weather forecast for the rest of this week so I'm hopeful for a splash...then probably get to wait for another weather window to bring it up to Kemah which will be the permanent homeport. Wish me LUCK please? (good luck, that is, I have had enough of the other).

We needed the rain, just not all at once.

This is my nephew's HS stadium in Austin.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432661650.379080.jpg

Every now and then, huge swarms of crickets do show up, had the misfortune of having one of my stores being in a swarm-central shopping center. I don't think God cares one way or the other about Texas, He just as soon let it sort itself out on its own. All my insurance rates went down when we moved from Dallas to Oakland, then back up when we returned.

Every now and then, huge swarms of crickets do show up, had the misfortune of having one of my stores being in a swarm-central shopping center. I don't think God cares one way or the other about Texas, He just as soon let it sort itself out on its own. All my insurance rates went down when we moved from Dallas to Oakland, then back up when we returned.

That has very little to do with losses, the ins industry purchased the state government years ago. Texas politicians are faithful, once bought they stay bought and dance with the ones that brung em. Texan for 63 years in FL now, same applies here.

That has very little to do with losses, the ins industry purchased the state government years ago. Texas politicians are faithful, once bought they stay bought and dance with the ones that brung em. Texan for 63 years in FL now, same applies here.

Yep, the insurance robber barons own the Florida legislature lock, stock and barrel.

Sure it's been a little breezy and yes we've had a drop of rain but I believe it's just nature having a little fun at our expense. She will move on shortly to somewhere else and do the same thing....A lot of people currently fighting to save their homes but they will rebuild rather than move. They are Texans.

I'm reconsidering Texas as a retirement location. Drought & fires, now floods. When are the locusts due?

...tomorrow...:hide:...

It's like anyplace else.
People either love it or hate it!

All my best wishes to those effected by the flooding.

OD

Look at the cost of living, the way their schools are paid for, the cost of retirees. The day comes when you cannot drive. Almost everywhere in Texas the creek and paddle applies unless you are in assisted living. W/O caring relatives then ....well you know. There are better places..... Born there, left in 09. Just sayin.

I may go back, but leave for the end game.....or not. Have a daughter there.

Beg to differ about the losses, not the politicians. I've lived and done business all over the country. On property, Texas has big issues with hail storms, high winds, tornados... not just every now and then like earthquakes and tornados, but every year. The relative losses are real. http://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/catastrophes-us

Workman's comp is also high, and Texas is one of the, if not THE most litigious states in the country.Still a great place to do biz; if I was starting a national company it wouldn't take me but a minute to decide to locate it in DFW or Austin.

Last edited:
Rain, hail, tornadoes, all produce tragic consequences and Texas comes through. With the present disaster, other than the rain, that no one has mentioned, I am not sure if Texas will overcome it. I know I am having some serious withdrawal problems from Blue Bell Ice Cream's difficulties and lack of production. Those in Texas must really be feeling the pain considering many have been on the "Bell" longer than the rest of us.
dk

Beg to differ about the losses, not the politicians. I've lived and done business all over the country. On property, Texas has big issues with hail storms, high winds, tornados... not just every now and then like earthquakes and tornados, but every year. The relative losses are real. Catastrophes: U.S. | III

Workman's comp is also high, and Texas is one of the, if not THE most litigious states in the country.Still a great place to do biz; if I was starting a national company it wouldn't take me but a minute to decide to locate it in DFW or Austin.
=====================================

Obviously you are behind the curve. Texas does not have workman compensation. They have employer protection. You work in Texas with no recourse, cannot sue and the system will make sure you will go through hell before collection is possible, no matter how disabled you are. Personal experience, 2 cousins ruined physically on the job through no fault of their own.

Litigious??? I doubt that, they have pulled the teeth of trial lawyers to the point through "tort reform" there is no recourse but to bend over and take it.

I am in FL now. This is truly a litigious state, TX, not even close.

Actually, I support loser pays. You sue, you lose you pay the other party's legal fees as determined by state approved formula, based on av fees state-nation wide. The underdog in Texas, currently is completely hamstrung.

Well yeah, we have a few places that are flooded but it's a big place and most of us are OK. Come on down to Houston/Clearlake and you'll see how quickly the place drains. Weather here is no worse than anywhere else on the coast. The floods of '94 were worse. Texas is a tough place to live. I suggest you all stay away. I'm sure there are plenty of jobs and nice places elsewhere. I'll hold down the fort for ya'll if you ever want to visit. LOL.

Kevin

=====================================

Obviously you are behind the curve. Texas does not have workman compensation. They have employer protection. You work in Texas with no recourse, cannot sue and the system will make sure you will go through hell before collection is possible, no matter how disabled you are. Personal experience, 2 cousins ruined physically on the job through no fault of their own.

Litigious??? I doubt that, they have pulled the teeth of trial lawyers to the point through "tort reform" there is no recourse but to bend over and take it.

I am in FL now. This is truly a litigious state, TX, not even close.

Actually, I support loser pays. You sue, you lose you pay the other party's legal fees as determined by state approved formula, based on av fees state-nation wide. The underdog in Texas, currently is completely hamstrung.

I did business and ran multiple stores in Texas for many many years. I know whereof I speak. Here's the story on workman's comp. Workers Compensation Resources for Employees / Injured Employees

Sorry to hear your cousins worked for some low life operation. They should have got a good lawyer. And yes, as a business person at least, TX was easily one of the most litigious states. And I've done biz in them all including Florida and California. Did you know that the biggest volume federal Intellectual Property tort court in the country is over in Marshall, of all places?

Greetings,
WARNING: A Stevie Ray Vaughan thread creep but it DOES have boats in it...

I prefer the original myself...

Last edited:
A co-worker who lives in San Antonio send a pic of his backyard. So ... it's not all hardscrabble, fire & floods in Texas. :D

But he does say he has quite a water bill!

Attachments

• Phone Pics May2015 312.jpg
    Phone Pics May2015 312.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 67
Aaaaa a moment waited for!!:lol: No floods, no hurricanes, no tornados , no forest fires, no snakes, no poisonous plants, pure politics compared to Texas or Florida, No big corporations to bitch about,:D
We do have 150 inches of rain which runs off into the saltwater:angel:. Currently we are enjoying a full six weeks of sunny weather at 65-68 degrees.
Life just ain't fair:thumb:
Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska::speed boat:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom