Cockpit Cabinets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
My 42' Ocean Alexander is completely void of cabinets/tackle center, etc. in the cockpit. I'm trying to find a company on the west coast who makes these. I've been on the Web but most companies in this business are on the East Coast. The area I have to work with measures 35" W X 22" D X 32" H.
Color white & made out of King Starboard. (I know a cabinet maker could do this but I'm looking for a company that already has plans available.)

Any ideas?

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Here's a list of woodworkers and cabinet makers to get you started.

California Woodworkers, Woodworking resources and businesses in the state of California

You could probably get more local leads from a visit to the local woodworker's supply store. I'd hire a local guy to work with me to design and build the perfect cabinet for your needs.

FW Sink and RW washdown connections? Fish cleaning station? Electrical outlet? Lighting? Bait station? Tackle storage? Refrigerator? Lots of components to consider when starting from scratch.

Any good custom cabinet maker could make whst you want. But I would not make it out of Starboard. I would use PVC board painted with Awlgrip. It's cheaper, easier to work with in that it can be glued together where needed and its lighter than Starboard.

Here is a cabinet we just had made out of PVC and install on the fly bridge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
.... I would use PVC board painted with Awlgrip. It's cheaper, easier to work with in that it can be glued together where needed and its lighter than Starboard...

Bill: Thanks for the suggestion. We have been looking to replace a cabinet on our back deck and never considered PVC board. Heck, I didn't even know what the stuff was. A quick search gave me a few ideas. I looks easy to work with.

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/pdf/wb297-pvc.pdf

It's great stuff. You just have to be a bit more careful around it than wood or fiberglass, in that its softer than either of those and a bit more susceptible to dings or dents.

See if those folks would sell you a set of plans. Or have one of their cabinets shipped out to you in knock down form and you put it together.

See if those folks would sell you a set of plans. Or have one of their cabinets shipped out to you in knock down form and you put it together.
Now, we're cooking! I'm going to do that!:thumb::Thanx:

"Any ideas?"

The Left coast is still part of the Union ,

UPS will deliver from the East coast , no customs duty!

I just spent 25 minutes for a quick look at this site and am quite surprised at the prices. Much lower than the sites I toured!:thumb:

Over the past few years I've bought teak, teak plywood and Starboard from them. Good prices, service and fast shipping.

Back
Top Bottom