View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Re: Fuel map

Quote:
Capn Chuck wrote:

Comparing this Volkswagen to our boats, you might as well compare them to a 747. It offers absolutely no useful information. Chuck
Well, now, that depends on which 747 you compare them to.* I agree, comparing my boat engines to a 747-100, -200, -300, or -400 is totally irrelevant.*

However, if I compare the performance parameters and fuel maps of one of our FL120s to the similar data from the*new GE engine on the 747-8, now THAT is a much more relevant comparison.*

The one thing I have yet to figure out, however, is that*in order to take advantage of and apply*the comparison data*we are required to operate the FL120s*in the same ambient temperatures and air pressures as the 747-8 engines.**We haven't figured out*how to duplicate the*environmental conditions encountered at 41,000 feet in the engine room of our GB36, but I'm working on it and feel*that I'm getting close*to a solution.

But when we do our initial calculations show that our FL120s will have the same "sweet spot" in terms of fuel efficiency as the GE.* As soon as we determine what this power setting is, I'll post it here so everyone with FL120s can take advantage of the data.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote