Portable Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USNA81

Camano 31
Has anyone used a portable generator ( Honda,etc) to be used as their generator source while on the hook? ( Run AC,charge batteries, etc)
On occasion we are on the hook and seems much more economical to only bring the portable Gen when necessary and save on expensive Generator install, ongoing maintenance and the extra weight and subsequent fuel burn.
Not sure how many watts/amps necessary to run onboard AC or a cruise air unit.
Thanks for any feedback.

Our 3.5 Phasor ran the AC and the battery charger but would have to turn the AC off to use the microwave.

Many folk with smaller boats use Honda portables. You have to be very careful with carbon monoxide, fire risk, etc. Also salt spray will kill them pretty quick.

Nice boat. I checked out the Cutwater and Ranger tugs at the show. Lots of boat packed into 28 feet.

Two questions.

What is the size of your air conditioner?

You need a generator that can provide the momentary amperage to start the compressor. The starting current can require several times the running amperage. There are systems like the Dometic Smart Start that may help reduce the required starting current.

Where do you plan on putting the portable generator while it is running?

Needless to say, CO poisoning can be an issue depending on where the generator is placed while running.

No AC on Ebbtide so we use a Honda EU2000 and put it on the swim step. I would also recommend a CO2 alarm, pretty inexpensive insurance against a disaster.

If you plan to use it in anchorages after dark, don't expect anyone around you to be friendly. It just shows you don't give a _____ about anyone else. The obnoxious noise carries a long way over water and ruins the solitude of the area. The inverter type portables are pretty quiet at low loads but if they are loaded down running A/C the noise levels are right up there with the non-inverter types. The worst are the $500 for 3500 watt construction site gennys that run high speed even if only powering a TV.

Camano 31
Has anyone used a portable generator ( Honda,etc) to be used as their generator source while on the hook? ( Run AC,charge batteries, etc)

Just tried mine out last week. 2000 watt, mounted up on the bridge out of the way, connected to the Boat AC system with a short 12' Cable when needed. Wanted to try it for heating water, Charging the Batteries through the onboard charger, and running the electric side of the stove as each of those (cept the charger) are around 1500 watts. Worked great. Haven't tried it with my AC unit yet but it does have a soft start capacitor, so I'm hoping it will work.
I wouldn't run it for long periods, but it does help in a pinch without starting the engine. Those morning hot water showers are important! As noted, Put a CO detector onboard..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a search of past threads. you'll find loads of info and advice from those of us who use units like the Honda eu2000i. It's done often and safely with simple safety steps and considerations. Sailboaters have been using them for a very long time.

Issues:

Noise

Gasoline storage

CO fumes

Corrosion

I might add don't talk to the snobby Sea Ray folks about using a Honda genny. It's like talking about anchors here....:hide:;)

BTW Welcome!!:D

I might add don't talk to the snobby Sea Ray folks about using a Honda genny. It's like talking about anchors here....:hide:;)

BTW Welcome!!:D

Some of them need the extra power to light up their million gigawatt underwater lights.

Welcome aboard. Your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

Now that is out of the way, I use a Honda 2000i to run my 5000 btu air conditioner. I had to add a start capacitor as Heron mentioned. It works fine. In fact I've run it on a Honda 1000i. Without the capacitor it would take over 3000 watts to start it.

That said, if I had a nice big engine room like you have, I'd save up for a diesel generator.

Welcome aboard. Your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

Now that is out of the way, I use a Honda 2000i to run my 5000 btu air conditioner. I had to add a start capacitor as Heron mentioned. It works fine. In fact I've run it on a Honda 1000i. Without the capacitor it would take over 3000 watts to start it.

That said, if I had a nice big engine room like you have, I'd save up for a diesel generator.

Big engine room?! Funny one parks. They're two places they put them, over the shaft log just astern of the engine and in the lazz. We opted for the lazz so we could maintain. The shaft log should we have to access it. Ended up being the right decision, with the sound shield the little phasor fit right between the stringers. We did have to modify it a little but not a lot.

Oliver, I kind of wish I had bought your Camano when you were selling it. I'm sure it was in great shape.

Oliver, I kind of wish I had bought your Camano when you were selling it. I'm sure it was in great shape.

Yeah she was, the guy who bought here got a great deal. A lot was put into it (mostly upgrades). The buyer got it for what we paid for it. Believe she now resides In Punta Gorda.

Last edited:
I never had one on my sailboat, but a friend had Honda EU2000 and I used it quite a bit too. A great generator - pretty quiet and bullet proof. Despite a small engine room (cave) on my KK54 it holds a 20 kW NL with an 8 kW NL in the lazarette.

Richard

I want to buy Oliver's 47 when he upgrades to the.....N72......N120?

I'm saving my pennies! ?

Last edited:
Cardude, I think you're right. Oliver needs a much bigger boat. The problem is they don't make anchors big enough to make him happy if he gets a bigger boat.

We have had a Honda 2000 for 2 1/2 years now and have a little over 1200 hours on it and it still runs like the day we bought it.

I agree

Parks should buy a Camano.

Cardude should buy Oliver's 47.

Oliver should build an N86' and let me drive it.

The OP and I should buy Honda generators and laugh at you 3 buying boats.

3.gif

You guys are funny, next boat is a 130' Westport! Water slide and all.:D
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432582374.182700.jpg

I agree

Parks should buy a Camano.

Cardude should buy Oliver's 47.

Oliver should build an N86' and let me drive it.

The OP and I should buy Honda generators and laugh at you 3 buying boats.

Lmao. Good one.

Honda has some competition...from the usual player... Yahama.... 2of these generators tied together will do most anything you need, including starting a 16,500 btu AC. They are quite as a mouse, AND THEY HAVE A LONG WARRANTY. Extended beyond if you buy with AMX. BOth Honda and Yamaha should be great. I certainly would not spend $8000 to $12000 on the kobota powered Westerbeke I have that came with the boat. Read up on em.

"I certainly would not spend $8000 to $12000 on the kobota powered Westerbeke I have that came with the boat. Read up on em."

The hassle is some folks are frightened of gasoline boats , generators and propane.

They can not sleep at night , and pointing out 90% of rec boats are gas doesn't help.

Such fear is not rational, but pointing that out is not PC.

SBU, the brand I used was Supco. Go to Supco.com for an explanation of how they work. Installation was easy with just the instructions that came with it. I think the one I used was an HS6. Should cost you less than twenty bucks.
What are you trying to do?

Parks - nothing. I read a lot of threads here with no particular plan or agenda. I'm fascinated by how many times I encounter a puzzling situation on my boat and recall, however faintly, something I read on this board that helps out. Not to mention the morale building that "it ain't just me" provides.

In any case, I was just curious as you and Steve casually mentioned "adding a capacitor" to the AC like it was routine. I had no idea there were kits and instructions to do it. You learn something new every day. Thanks, again.

Back
Top Bottom