Water in bilge - source found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I'm finding now a bit depressing RTF, is having owned the boat and been working on it solidly for most of the 13 years since purchase, I am starting to find things I had already done, repaired, or in some cases even installed new, need doing again already…Rather like the painting of the Golden Gate bridge…But never you mind about that Frg…not yet anyway, you haven't even painted the bridge once over yet - enjoy… :socool:

Had a house like that once and know the feeling Peter. In trying to turn lemons into lemonade, I told myself that THIS time the work should go faster without the learning curve. (But often it didn't.).

We are having drain issues with our shower also . The drain is not in the lowest part of the floor . I was thinking about cutting a bigger square hole in the center of the floor and mounting the box to the bottom of the the shower floor and then building a grate over the hole and eliminating the drain hose to the box .
Has anyone ever done this ?

"What I'm finding now a bit depressing RTF, is having owned the boat and been working on it solidly for most of the 13 years since purchase, I am starting to find things I had already done, repaired, or in some cases even installed new, need doing again"

Sometimes looking at what commercial boats do/use/operate is the simple solution.

"What I'm finding now a bit depressing RTF, is having owned the boat and been working on it solidly for most of the 13 years since purchase, I am starting to find things I had already done, repaired, or in some cases even installed new, need doing again"

Sometimes looking at what commercial boats do/use/operate is the simple solution.

So you are telling everyone about my boat...the 90 percent, 10 foot rule. :eek:

only has to be done to 90 percent perfection and only has to look perfect from 10 feet. :D

having been working on commercial boats for 15 years....they are as bulletproof as most yachts (not very) and many look great (from at least 10 feet or more)....

Good enough for me who lives to boat but is exhausted working on them. :thumb:

Ah…are you saying there Bruce, that the period you allowed the shower water to run into the bilge, while you sorted out the sump, helped clean out old diesel spill fouling..? If so, why would you not have been happy to continue that process...
Shower, galley sink, bathroom sink, drain to the one box, which gets "plated' with a blackish grime on the pump and box (wood lined with f/g). I don`t want the bilge like that, plus it`s murky again from the flushing solution and follow up flushes for the port FWC system. As I have the collection system, and prefer the bilge clean, I would not intentionally perpetuate it.Think of it as every now and then adding bilge cleaner.

Shower, galley sink, bathroom sink, drain to the one box, which gets "plated' with a blackish grime on the pump and box (wood lined with f/g). I don`t want the bilge like that, plus it`s murky again from the flushing solution and follow up flushes for the port FWC system. As I have the collection system, and prefer the bilge clean, I would not intentionally perpetuate it.Think of it as every now and then adding bilge cleaner.

Ah…now I see, (as the blind man said)…you have all that coming together - we just have the shower and nil else, except what comes in via the (non-dripless, but almost), stuffing box to contend with. I totally accept you would not want shower, galley, (especially galley, with grease, food residue, coffee grounds, even tealeaves, etc), and bathroom sink all in there as well. Gotcha Bruce. Gotta get a Gulper pump for that sump though, when the current one dies, for sure...

Last edited:
Peter, we remove grease best we can off plates etc, tea/coffee grounds, etc, but nothing is perfect. I was surprised finding no debris in the box, it is a vigorous US made pump, can`t recall brand but searches say it`s now absorbed into Johnson.
A capsule espresso machine onboard instead of grinding coffee,maybe...thinking..

IMO galley sink should go direct overboard. Too much grease and bio stuff to pass through a sump box.

When I designed our 90/90 the sink was located directly above the sink sea cock, rubber hose between.

With the sink (10 inch deep) piping above the WL , any clog was simply removing hose from under sink and jamming a broom handle down to clear grease.

In 22+ years of living aboard , only can remember the need once.

My guess is any accumulated grease gets eaten by always feeding sea creatures.

An above the WL discharge would stay visible , for much of winter on top of the ice. UGH!

Back
Top Bottom