View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
kwmeyer13

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Jacobs, Have you been able to remove the coupling yet? If not this might help. I have a 2004 Mainship Pilothouse and I just did this. It sounds a little silly but it worked perfectly. Get some play-doh (I did not tell my granddaughter I was liberating some of hers) and push it into the coupling and then slowly pull it out. You should be able to measure the impression in the play-doh to determine the size socket you need. I used a 1" 1/2 socket I got from Auto Zone. I thought that I needed to have a socket ground down myself because I could not get what seemed to be the correct size socket on the nut, What I overlooked was backing the set screws out of the path of the socket. Once the set screws were out of the way the socket without it being ground down slid right in. There are several ways to proceed from here. I placed a smaller socket into the coupler and used the coupler bolts to press the socket in and push the shaft out. It only took a few easy turns on the bolts and the coupler popped right off. The process took about 20 minutes to remove the coupling and slide a new seal on. The ideal situation would be to have the boat out of the water but it can be done in the water. Just have everything ready before you start and if possible have a helper as well. I had to change out a leaking seal with the spare on my trip from Fla to NY. I would suggest to sliding 2 seals on once you remove the coupler then bolt it all back together. Place the plastic shield on the second one you put on then cut out the damaged seal and slide the new one up, slip it in and reattach the cover with the screws.
This article was very helpful and a good read before I tried it. PSS Shaft Seal Installation Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Hope all goes or went well.
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote