Thread: Hauled out
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #30
fstbttms
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Interesting, and no offense taken. What's your source? In Mass, I was told this by a diver who I asked about cleaning my bottom. He said there was a big fine for doing it now. An in lake union (actually Salmon Bay), I just helped a marina-owner friend disassemble a contraption previousely used for hull cleaning because they aren't allowed to do it any more.
As I mentioned previously, individual marinas (supposedly) can restrict maintenance activities like in-water hull cleaning if they so choose. However, there are no statewide bans on hull cleaning anywhere in this country. In Washington, the state has limited hull cleaning to hard paints only. No ablatives can be cleaned in the water in that state. In Massachussetts, the "Clean Marina Guide" does indicate that as a Best Management Practice, in-water hull cleaning should not occur, but this is strictly a voluntary measure and does not carry the weight of law. There are any number of dive services advertising hull cleaning up and down the Massachussetts coast.

Massachusetts Clean Marina Guide

Hull Cleaning and Boat Washing | Clean Green Boating | Washington State Department of Ecology