Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the beginning, I was not enticed to use the flybridge as we always dock from the Pilot House. Then after the 3rd year, we use more and more the upper deck on sunny hot days on Lake Champlain. The Admiral likes to sit and read or sleep on the chair...

Brian I almost had this boat built had preliminary plans and ready to go but the design started spiraling out of control because I wanted 7-16K cruise range. This boat was hard chine SD with many interior features planed from my P40 past experience.
Nice looking design.
I would say that you might have loss a little of the Pilgrim nostalgia with the bow shape.

It would be quite a financial jungle to attempt to reproduce a Pilgrim 40 using the same quality wood finish...
I addressed some of this 'wood interior' subject back on this page
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212-8.html#post182004

In this more modern era of computer-cut pieces I do believe the 'cosmetic portions' of the wood interior could be produced in a fairly economical manner, be it real wood or the newer vinyl laminates (which are getting to be very good wood-looking substitutes)

...and the use of some offshore labor to prefab the 'wood interior pieces' could make this job more economical.

Many inquiries have been received by the Gozzard Family (Gozzard Yachts Brokerage - Gozzard Yachts Brokerage. ) over the years as to whether they shall ever re-introduce the "40 Motor Yacht"; their answer is still no. They would like very much to re-visit the subject of a small trawler type Motor Yacht, but as yet the "Pilgrim 40" molds still lay in their back yard!
I imagine if those molds still exist that they are no longer in a condition that they could be utilized,.... certainly not for long term??

Vogue wood boats?

People like to look but scared to buy.

So what's the big Vig weigh-displace?

400lb anchor I see.

I almost built this boat instead of Moon River. Did not because it started to spiral bigger and heavier with no end in sight. So we opted for less cottage and cut back to what we actually needed and used based on our many years of cruising. The result was a boat a little shorter and less than half the weight and half the power requirements. This plan A boat was to be a SD fast stretched version of our Pilgrim Serena.

Attachments

• D 52 no underbody.jpg
    D 52 no underbody.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 323
You must have read my mind Ed, I was just thinking of that very pretty design you posted earlier :thumb:

Tad thanks for the V II info. The hull form is at the other end of the scale relative to the P40. I owned and lived aboard a P 40 for a few years and as T Gozzard told me it was indeed a boat for very protected waters and a good boat for its intended purpose. V II is a lot more boat and would be great in the NW passage.

TAD,
Very interesting reading about Vigorous but under "displacement" .. it's blank.
I'm beginning to think Pacific Brokers have trouble in the past w people being confused about "tonnage" and displacement or weight. Don't see disp offered in their boat specs anywhere.

Burned in 75 and rebuilt. Interesting.

Re the sixth pic down (in the listing) she looks very over driven so must have considerably more power than needed to push the boat at reasonable speeds.

eyeschulman,
So few go w the small house and large hull it's wonderful to see it when it happens. I think it says something about the owner, designer or both. Most any boat can be a better boat w less house.

eyeschulman,
So few go w the small house and large hull it's wonderful to see it when it happens. I think it says something about the owner, designer or both. Most any boat can be a better boat w less house.

I have taken some heat from some for pointing out that there are trade offs for expanding living accommodations in a hull of fixed length. My concept of the boat /cottage ratio was something I used mentally to try a vague quantification of which direction a design favored. For some the lack of cottage type factors makes a boat a bad boat and visa versa. I think it depends on how the boat is used and the view point of the individual. A perfectly rectangular two story house boat is just right for many as the Lake Union house boat community would point out. As to the hard design significance of cottageing up a given hull things like increased beam-high freeboard- fullness of ends-high air height-no side decks-multiple house levels-enclosed sky bridge-and excessive weight may and often do carry a cost in basic boat performance. As to which end of the ratio I prefer it depends on how and where I intend to use the boat. In general I would favor good boat performance over excess (above my perceived needs) of interior space. If I needed more space and it was practical I would opt for greater length. My present boat is a stretch of my previous 38 ft lobster type which was just adequate for our use. Now at 48 ft we have luxurious room without going to what for me would be excessive cottageing of the hull.

Ed you favor excess boat performance over excess cottage. Ideally of course no excess is golden but really paying attention to this is probably rare .. you seem quite good at it. For me I haven't done too bad either but a Voyager Willard would be preferable for us .. more cottage. I sure like your scope on the matter though.

Vigorous but under "displacement" .. it's blank.
Don't see disp offered in their boat specs anywhere.

Probably no one knows. They might have a Travellift weight, usually incorrect. Many folks who own this type of boat won't haul in slings, only on a cradle, so the actual weight is unknown. Displacement is not required for Ship's Registry, and it's highly variable. The Vigorous used to displace a lot more when she had 750HP and huge fuel tanks for towing. Probably floated 18" deeper. Now her liquids will vary displacement by 8500 pounds.

I would guess she's now about 60-65,000 pounds fully loaded.

Thanks so much TAD Roberts,
At 60Klbs or 30 tons and 240hp (the Murphy) she has 8hp per ton. That's well over the required 4 to 5 and is evidenced by the pic on the Pacific Motor Boats Inc broker site under "view all images". The 6th pic down (powerful pic) shows her very clearly overdriven. Much more power than she needs. But w her beam and (probably) rather full bow bucking headseas would probably require a good portion of the extra power. After all she was a tug. I'd probably want 240hp as also.

Last edited:
I almost built this boat instead of Moon River. Did not because it started to spiral bigger and heavier with no end in sight. So we opted for less cottage and cut back to what we actually needed and used based on our many years of cruising. The result was a boat a little shorter and less than half the weight and half the power requirements. This plan A boat was to be a SD fast stretched version of our Pilgrim Serena.
This vessel posted over on the 'interesting boats' subject thread reminded me of that vessel you posted Ed
1969 Ed Monk, Sr. Nelson & Hansen Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale

What a beauty :thumb:

Attachments

• Monk Trawler for sale.jpg
    Monk Trawler for sale.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 93
Yes Brian at one time there were are a lot of good old wooden boats of this sort. With the development of the more powerful engines and FG construction this type is less common. I see the modern replacements with much more interior volume air height-freeboard-beam and general bulk to please the need for home like living. When aboard one of the older types you unusually are very aware that you are on a boat. The galley is not a kitchen and the head is not a bathroom the bunk is a bunk not a walk around etc. etc. For most, the modern boats seem to be what the market demands. For me it was and old boat or a one off that very few would build new. Considering the price of modern boats I would have thought their would be a market for simple narrow economical and less expensive. (My boat is narrow but not simple or less expensive but does lean heavily toward the boat end of the boat cottage ratio.)So far I don't see a significant trend toward light narrow low entering the market with any great success. Some attempts down under have been published.

Well, one look at me and you'll understand my lovely bride won't go for light, narrow and low. :D

Had a recent inquiry about a canal boat for Europe, with some limited capabilities offshore.

I suggested either a Pilgrim design or a slightly larger design such as this...

Attachments

• Rebecca, dutch barge.jpg
    Rebecca, dutch barge.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 322
Charming boat Brian but the aft end of the house looks too much like the side of a passenger train. But definitely a cute anchor.

Perhaps a cambered roof more like this one, with a little walkway overhang would help soften those lines.

Attachments

• Roi%20Soleil%20Evening%20Big.jpg
    Roi%20Soleil%20Evening%20Big.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 210
  • RoiSoleilfull%20view,%20ps.jpg
    RoiSoleilfull%20view,%20ps.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Helm6,CabinTop shape.jpg
    Helm6,CabinTop shape.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom