Saying hello with your whistle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The average boater would be confused if you used the horn as a navigation signaling device.

Post is too large, you can remove the last four words and it will still be true and factual.

:D

Post is too large, you can remove the last four words and it will still be true and factual.

:D

The word average can be removed too as I only put it in there to stop arguments beforehand. I'm comfortable stating 99/100 boaters hitting the water this weekend haven't got a clue.

Well, I don't pretend to remember everything so I have a couple of visual cues in my pilothouse. I suspect you already know the red port side has one bell.

VisualCue-Starboard.jpg

This works for me, and perhaps you as well?

No indication of collision ... no toot ... unless I recognize you as a pal or wish to acknowledge your "hello."

This ship gave a prolonged (four-second) signal (HERE I AM! HELLO!) upon approaching a sailboat race:

Last edited:
Is this sailboat giving the "raspberry"? (Also, his mainsail is trimmed too tight/close.)

Last edited:
What is the deal with that raspberry?? What is that? I kinda want it to just be there for raspberries.

What is the deal with that raspberry?? What is that? I kinda want it to just be there for raspberries.

Your guess is a good as mine. As it is highly unusual compared to the competitors' boats (photo taken during a sailboat race), I presume the boater was trying to make a statement.

Re mainsail trim, he`s running square, some long keel sailboats get the "death rolls" doing that, the fix is hardening the main. Or it could just be badly adjusted. But, I`ve never seen a kite designed like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom