Old 05-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #69
janice142
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post

It looks like the designers felt the boat needed quite a bit more power, and Janice's website even refers to a GM V8 powerplant which at a minimum would have been 190hp or so. Even with diesel power, the numbers point to a SD hull with sufficient power to run considerably faster than S/L 1.34.

My take is that the Kubota 18hp diesel is going to be on the small side, possibly even too small, but should work if the cruising speed is kept below 6 kts. Conditions like head seas, wind and current, even a dirty prop or bottom, could easily drive the power requirement beyond 18hp though.
I have a copy of the brochure from my boat. It says: "The little cruiser, according to her designer, will comfortably jog along at 7-8 knots on as little as 30 horsepower, inboard or outboard power. But for the skipper in a hurry, a 260 horsepower Volvo inboard is expected to push her along at a speedy 30-40 miles per hour."

Well, whoever wrote that was taking some serious pharmaceuticals. With the tide the fastest she ever went was just over 7 with the big gas engine. Schuckers have transom squat -- it's all over the Schucker list and cures for same.

At least one boat was extended. This is one of the 44's as I recall though it might have been a 40'er. One of the 44'ers had bilge keels added too. They roll.

Seaweed's flat bottom means I rock twice then stop. Sometimes thrice, but seldom. She does pitch. I'm one of those blessed with a rock gut so being seasick is not an issue. Knock Teak.

These were as you saw created from the molds of the bigger boats. My bowsprit was the 40'er. It was a good attempt at staying liquid. Original price for the boat was $24,900. A version (two built as I understand it) of the boat without the galley cabin -- your basic open fisherman was offered at $16,900.

With her full beam galley cabin there's an amazing amount of room for a 23' boat. She's open and airy. I am blessed indeed.

It's a boat though. There's always something that needs fixing, or improving. That's the fun stuff, when the view changes.

Today I listened too and watched a few boats heading out to cross the Gulf. They were discussing going 20 mph. That's rocketing -- and they sounded like they were having a blast.

I like five knots. No wake, just a tiny ripple. With the BOB engine (an MD2) at just past half throttle I did five so I expect the same with the tractor.

And aren't diesels supposed to be run hard? Not brutally hard, but with a load? That was what used to be. Has that changed?

One thing I have noticed is how much things have changed. What was once standard or best policy is not the same today. Rules are different... heck, when I was a kid we opened the bridge by blowing the horn three times. Try that today!

I'm rambling. I'l hush now.