Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw this in Portland while doing a Survey on a hopeful boat. Even another helm on the crows nest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 128
Saw this in Portland while doing a Survey on a hopeful boat. Even another helm on the crows nest.

Pretty sure that is a Bill Garden design. 92' and called Catherine/Katherine or something similar.

Pretty sure that is a Bill Garden design. 92' and called Catherine/Katherine or something similar.

The name on Stern is Tess Ann, I just thought she was an unusually long and narrow beam.

92'6" x 19'0", twin 1000 HP Cats for 25 knot cruising, 35 top. Originally named Czarinna. She was the last wooden boat built by McQueen's in Vancouver, launched in 1991. Triple planked with two inner diagonal layers of red cedar with a fore & aft outer layer of mahogany over steam-bent oak frames, 2" x 3", on 12" centers. She is remarkable in that the entire interior is on one level from the transom to the bow.

Greetings,
Not ONE picture of the mechanical spaces. What are they trying to hide? Given a few bucks, anyone can put lipstick on a pig. Not sayin' this is a pig...

Where you gonna park that thing?

Just sayin' ?

Well, ya gotta admit, it would be a great live aboard. Between the slip fees, insurance and so on, you couldn't afford a home and that beast at the same time. Just thought it was a rather unique boat.

Stopped at the Seattle Locks this morning on the way to the boat and caught the Puget headed in. Somewhere on TF there was some discussion of floating logs. Well, the Corps of Engineers sends this baby out every week to gather logs from the Elliott Bay/mid Sound area. Where it docks behind the Locks, there is about a 300 foot barge loaded with logs. They take it a dump it somewhere about once a month.

The next shot is of a local charter boat, the MV Olympus. We were headed out through the locks and got put into the large lock with about 6-7 other boats including the Olympus. Looked like some kind of Yacht Club event with everybody in their white slacks and dark blue blazers. The Olympus is a real beauty, built in 1929 for a hot shot financier member of the New York Yacht Club. She is immaculately maintained.

The last shot is not a boat (other than the paddle boarder), but a phenomenon we see here in Puget Sound. On warm Spring days (and to oady was an unbelievably beautiful day), when the water is still pretty cold, a fog cloud will form right at the water surface and only be about 1-3 feet high. From a distance, it looks like the water is white cotton. BTW, this shot was about 2 PM as we were leaving the marina and the Sound was as calm as I have ever seen it in the afternoon.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 135

That boat used to live in front of someone's snazzy house near Roche Harbor, WA. I saw it on several occasions there at its dock. I always assumed it was aluminum, but we never got all that close to it. I remember being told it was a Garden design. Doesn't do anything for me aesthetically-- I think it's quite ugly actually-- but it gets points for being unique in a sort of Dashew-esque sort of way.

Last edited:
That boat used to live in front of someone's snazzy house near Roche Harbor, WA. I saw it on several occasions there at its dock. I always assumed it was aluminum, but we never got all that close to it. I remember being told it was a Garden design. Doesn't do anything for me aesthetically-- I think it's quite ugly actually-- but it gets points for being unique in a sort of Dashew-esque sort of way.

Darn Marin... That's ugly to ya? Soul baby - it's all about the stately, antiquated soul that shines brightly through creating beauty effects!! Talk about a survivor... WOW!!! :thumb:

Darn Marin... That's ugly to ya? Soul baby - it's all about the stately, antiquated soul that shines brightly through creating beauty effects!! Talk about a survivor... WOW!!! :thumb:

I must agree with Marin. Great respect for the designer, but this one looks oddly proportioned, windows don't relate well to each other, and a little like it's a cardboard cutout. But that's just my opinion. I'm glad it exists because variety is a good thing.

Czarina is pretty much a maximum stretch of a 1969 Garden 62' called Kristina (was StarFire and now something else). She was built by Philbrook's, has beam of 17' and displacement is about 57,000 pounds.

I think Kristina a very good looking boat whereas Czarina is less so. Stretching boats is difficult, I'm currently stretching a 39' to 48' and everything goes out of proportion. Now I'm back to re-building the topsides with better proportions.

Kristina below

016.jpg

Kristinadrawingmed.jpg

Kristinamed.jpg

I must agree with Marin. Great respect for the designer, but this one looks oddly proportioned, windows don't relate well to each other, and a little like it's a cardboard cutout. But that's just my opinion. I'm glad it exists because variety is a good thing.

Breezing through posts too quickly... I believe I made an error - thought Marin was referring to MV Olympus. Now don't think so. But, if so, I stand with my post #1784!

Breezing through posts too quickly... I believe I made an error - thought Marin was referring to MV Olympus. Now don't think so. But, if so, I stand with my post #1784!

Art--- I was referring to the boat pictured in post 1772. Olympus (post 1782) looks to be a lovely classic.

Interesting that they built Olympus with a low profile so bridges on the eastern seaboard wouldn't have to be raised when she passed.

These two ladies were undoubtedly build as PNW USFS boats but seeing them side to side (so to speak) is interesting.
What do you think is their biggest difference?

Attachments

• STH71249 copy.jpg
    STH71249 copy.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 254
  • STH71885 copy 2.jpg
    STH71885 copy 2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 138
These two are just an experience to l look at. I never tire of looking at the photos of "Chugach". "Wells Gray" has been berthed 4 slips from me in Sitka these past 2 years and she is a beauty. They are timeless as long as the upkeep is met.

Glen

These two ladies were undoubtedly build as PNW USFS boats but seeing them side to side (so to speak) is interesting.
What do you think is their biggest difference?

The Wells Gray was built in 1927 by Andy Linton in Vancouver. She was originally called the Hermit, built as a yacht for a Mr. Kidd, President of the B.C. Electric Railway. The design was by Tom Halliday. The BC Forest Service bought her in 1938. Her first powerplant was a 3 cylinder direct reversing Gardner. She was sold out of the Forest service in the late 1970's. Length is 48', beam 11'6".

Biggest difference visible is the one has a fantail stern and the other is double-ended.

I was thinking the Chugach was wider but on further inspection they look more or less the same. Yes the stern of Wells Grey is frequently not found on a commercial boat except old trollers.
I took the Chugach pic w her at anchor in Craig while Chris (wife) took the WG pic in Pt Townsend visiting her sister in WA while we lived in AK. These FS boats have always seemed the ultimate trawler to me.
Interesting the WG was built as a pleasure boat. Perhaps that has something to do w her canoe stern?

Glen,
Yes .. Taking these boats out of Alaska or/and northern BC is comparable to taking them out of the water.

Last edited:
I totally agree. For what they are and what they represent they are where they belong.

Interesting the WG was built as a pleasure boat. Perhaps that has something to do w her canoe stern?

Hard to say, there were motoryachts being built at the time with fantails, transoms, and double-ends. The stern style may have been specified by the owner, or may have been the designer's whim.... This same owner, Mr. Kidd, had a new boat designed by Robert Allan of Vancouver in 1934 and built at Menchions in Coal Harbour (Vancouver). She is the 65' x 14'6" double-ender Meander.

Motor Yacht MEANDER for sale - Classic Motor Yacht MEANDER For Sale- Vintage Motor Yacht MEANDER for Sale-Classic Yacht Brokerage-Schooners-Wooden Yachts-Wooden Boats-Classics for Sale

Wasn't that one the boat that got "shot up" on the movie The Final Countdown where the USS Nimitz gets caught in a time warp and put back in 1941, just before Dec 7?

Could the Meander have been in Alaska about 1997? I saw a boat very much like her in Angoon about that time.

Well, whatever they are, they sure are eye candy.

This was an interesting looking design I saw in the Annapolis, MD area when I lived there. I don't have the original (non-digital) photos I took of her, but I did go aboard for a look around. She was built of ferro-cement.

A friend and I referred to this vessel as a 'pocket superyacht' (sort of like the pocket battleship nomenclature). I aways thought it was a particularly nice looking power yacht. Hard to tell from this angle, but she had a 'fantale stern'.

Attachments

• trixie, ferro cement vessel.JPG
    trixie, ferro cement vessel.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 108
Back
Top Bottom