Hauled out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Hauled out for the annual pressure wash and some other little chores.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432168384.755600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432168401.921465.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432168430.334012.jpg

How often do you have a diver clean the bottom and running gear, or do you just do this annual pressure wash

How often do you have a diver clean the bottom and running gear, or do you just do this annual pressure wash

Our Marina doesn't allow divers (stupid, stupid, stupid!) so we just haul out every 6 months or so. Works out pretty good, looks like next haul out we may soda blast the hull. We're also having a transducer installed right now, she's scheduled to go back in Tuesday. Been happy with the prop speed so far, just a little shark skin on the prop by the hub, probably formed because the boat wasn't used for awhile. The wing was a little worse though as it's not run often.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432168801.853519.jpg

So what is the philosophy on banning divers from the marina? Besides the obvious of money not going in their direction.

So what is the philosophy on banning divers from the marina? Besides the obvious of money not going in their direction.

Don't really know.

The paint seems to be holding up well. How old is it? What kind is it?

It's Sea Hawk Bio-Cop.

It's Sea Hawk Bio-Cop.

Thanks!

Parks - have you comment on that brand bottom paint... looks good in haul-out picture. Oliver - photo just after pressure wash?? Probably...

The third photo was after pressure washing. We're leaving the paint alone this time, although some did start coming off around the through hulls and other under water penetrations those are going to be sanded and repainted. We had a bonding problem that was resolved, which most likely caused the through hull paint issue.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432177812.699811.jpg

And the newly installed ducer.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432177886.620985.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432177901.308985.jpg

Art, Bio Cop has a pretty good reputation. It might not be as good Now as it was about a year ago. They were putting illegal tin based biocides in it. One of the company big wigs actually got arrested. I don't know what happened after that, but I don't imagine they are still doing it.

My guess is that they were making it for export for use where it is legal and some got into the U.S. Market.

Possible liability issues concerning electrocution from stray electric current in the marina.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Art, Bio Cop has a pretty good reputation. It might not be as good Now as it was about a year ago. They were putting illegal tin based biocides in it. One of the company big wigs actually got arrested. I don't know what happened after that, but I don't imagine they are still doing it.

My guess is that they were making it for export for use where it is legal and some got into the U.S. Market.

Thanks, Parks.

Being a marine guru with years of marine store background would you like to mention your recommendations for best bottom paint in saltwater and the best in freshwater?

Happy Btm-Paint Daze! - Art

Hauled out for the annual pressure wash and some other little chores.

Ditto (powerwash, hull and zinc inspection/treatment, propeller treatment, and every other year, new bottom paint).

Art, I only know South Florida. Around here Interlux Micron 66 and Pettit Trinadad SR are very popular. I think any of the dual biocides paints are pretty good and you should be able to get two years out of them with some scrubbing in the second year. If you repainted every year, cheaper paint will work.
There is one product I really believe in, Prop Speed. I haven't found anything that works on a prop for anywhere as long as PS.

Practical Sailor tests bottom paint for fresh, brackish and sea water.

2 or 3 year tests.

I just had a conversation with the Sea Hawk rep yesterday. Parks you are correct. 9 gallons got into the US market.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had an issue with the install of SeaHawk last fall. Through no fault of the product it failed. Well they now have a crew at the installing yard and are right this moment stripping and replacing everything using their people at no charge.
You can't get better customer service than that.
Thank you Sea Hawk !

I've been hauled out the past 2 weeks as well. Splashing in the next half hour.

Anxious Papa!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432307392.085812.jpg

Home for 2 weeks!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432307424.693579.jpg

I hate the hard! Noisy dusty, dirty!

Power washers to the left of me,
Grinders to the right,
and I'm stuck in the middle....

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Stuck in the middle again?

I've been hauled out the past 2 weeks as well. Splashing in the next half hour.

I hate the hard! Noisy dusty, dirty!

But Captain, she's beautiful. There is something about the lines to a KK42 that sits well. I like the Pilgrim 40's too. They remind me of a miniaturized version of the yachts of old that were my playground when a Kidlet.

Old wooden wet bilges, stringers to "tightrope walk" down, and plenty of fun for a kid. Plus sailboats had masts and those were fun to climb, and more fun to jump off of.

Life on the water is good. I'm glad you'll be back where you belong soon. Have fun!

I think Mbevins nailed it - no percentage.

Next thing you know, they will be banning boats in the marina for fear of someone falling in and drowning - damn lawyers!

Possible liability issues concerning electrocution from stray electric current in the marina.

Not likely. Electric Shock Drownings (ESD) are almost unheard of in saltwater. If a marina chooses not to allow in-water hull cleaning, it is frequently due to some concern over divers contributing to copper-loading in that particular body of water. Ignorant, misguided concern, but there you have it.

There are places like Mass where you can't do in-water hull cleaning at all. The boat has to be hauled. I heard the same is true in lake Union and Washington in Seattle. Don't know about out in the sound and other salt water bodies.

There are places like Mass where you can't do in-water hull cleaning at all. The boat has to be hauled. I heard the same is true in lake Union and Washington in Seattle. Don't know about out in the sound and other salt water bodies.

No offense, but none that is true, either in Massachusetts or Washington.

WHAT!!!! An urban myth on the internet??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

No offense, but none that is true, either in Massachusetts or Washington.

Interesting, and no offense taken. What's your source? In Mass, I was told this by a diver who I asked about cleaning my bottom. He said there was a big fine for doing it now. An in lake union (actually Salmon Bay), I just helped a marina-owner friend disassemble a contraption previousely used for hull cleaning because they aren't allowed to do it any more.

Interesting, and no offense taken. What's your source? In Mass, I was told this by a diver who I asked about cleaning my bottom. He said there was a big fine for doing it now. An in lake union (actually Salmon Bay), I just helped a marina-owner friend disassemble a contraption previousely used for hull cleaning because they aren't allowed to do it any more.

As I mentioned previously, individual marinas (supposedly) can restrict maintenance activities like in-water hull cleaning if they so choose. However, there are no statewide bans on hull cleaning anywhere in this country. In Washington, the state has limited hull cleaning to hard paints only. No ablatives can be cleaned in the water in that state. In Massachussetts, the "Clean Marina Guide" does indicate that as a Best Management Practice, in-water hull cleaning should not occur, but this is strictly a voluntary measure and does not carry the weight of law. There are any number of dive services advertising hull cleaning up and down the Massachussetts coast.

Massachusetts Clean Marina Guide

Hull Cleaning and Boat Washing | Clean Green Boating | Washington State Department of Ecology

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom