How common is 10K Diesel Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also put more miles on the boat than the car last year. Boat Tampa to the Keys to Boston and back with side trips. But only put 712 hours on the boat and the boat got a lot more polish :). I would like to cruise Alaska someday :) I'll need a bigger boat.

I also put more miles on the boat than the car last year. Boat Tampa to the Keys to Boston and back with side trips. But only put 712 hours on the boat and the boat got a lot more polish :). I would like to cruise Alaska someday :) I'll need a bigger boat.

Imagine if instead of hours on the engine we actually start counting hours on the boat vs hours in the car.

When one is working, it can limit the amount of hours put on a cruising boat. We spend far more time on our PNW boat than we put hours on it because we go up to it most weekends during the year and stay on it for one or both days even if we don't take it out.

While we take as many weekend trips into the islands as we can, my travel schedule, the weather, and other things have a habit of getting in the way. Right now we can only take one longer cruise a year, usually two or three weeks, assuming we haven't decided to do something else (like spend a month in France as was did last year or take a long narrowboat trip in the UK as we will do again in 2017.)

However.... when it comes to putting miles on our vehicles that's a different story. For us, me in particular, the journey is far more interesting than the destination be it in the boats, plane, or vehicles. In 2011 we got a new Subaru. Two years later it passed 60,000 miles almost all of it driven by my wife.

In 2013 we got a new truck. It has now got just shy of 50,000 miles on it. We spend as much time as we can, by boat, plane or vehicle, in British Columbia. BC is the main reason I left Hawaii way back when.

We hope to eventually be able to spend a lot more time going places on the water, both here and in Europe, than we are able to do today. In the meantime we try to stay "on the move" as much as we possibly can by any means that we can.

Except hiking. If God had meant man to go hiking He wouldn't have invented horses.:)

Last edited:
A friend of mine put a 1271 in his fishing boat in the early '90's and it was retired with over 35,000 hours in it.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I wish I could live and enjoy cruising so long. :)

I sincerely hope you do!

Boy, I feel like schlub. I only manage to put around 100 hours a year on mine. I do take some comfort in the fact that when I bought her, she had only averaged 33 hours a year. So she's getting more exercise than ever! We'll have biceps in no time.

The actual number from April 29, 2014 to June 2, 2015 was 1,333.7 hours.

Um, "was" doesn't seem the correct tense for a period that ends almost 2 weeks in the future. ?

Um, "was" doesn't seem the correct tense for a period that ends almost 2 weeks in the future. ?

No it doesn't. It was May 2. I obviously wasn't at peak alertness when pulling that information. That means just over 12 months, not 13.

Our engines will all last a lot longer if we can refrain from starting them unnecessarily in the off season. Nothing speeds the wear on bearings and cylinder walls faster than cold starts. If it is necessary to run your engine in the cold season, let it get hot. No idling at the dock, take it out, put it under a good load, wait for the temp to rise and let it stay up for 1/2 hour. That will boil off some of the condensation that will have invaded the oil, taking with it some of the harm that otherwise would hurt the engine on the next cold start.

Most engine builders will have storage procedures , long and detailed, in the SERVICE manual, not the owners or operators flyer.

If the boat is in unfrozen water a monthly outing is a great way to keep the engine functioning.

As Koliver points out ideling at the dock is a killer , only a good long hard run is worth the effort.

When you get in the habbit , it becomes a great way to spend a nice winter day.

A block pre heater , the night before , will cut down on any cols starting hassles.

Back
Top Bottom