If I had a million dollars...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
th

Quite nice I agree, but the 52 is just so much better.
2015 Kadey-Krogen Yachts - Krogen 52' Power New and Used Boats for

Unfortunately the 52 is a relatively new model and not sure it is possible to find a pre-owned one just yet. I inspected one at time of release when they were priced at $1.2m to get some sales started. With their acceptance in the market, some cost escalation and a profit margin now added in they are well north of that 'promotion' pricing. Could take a while to get to the point where $1m is enough to get into a used one, but they are absolutely incredible.

Larry: The 48 is my favourite boat. We love our 42, but if money was no object, this would be it. The 52 is just too much boat. We've been on Lynn and Neil Parker's Navigator (Seattle) which is about the same age. Also a lovely boat.

I remember reading about this couple and didn't connect the dots when you mentioned them a while back. If I recall they were from Vancouver Island. Didn't they own Coccoon, a 42 that was destroyed in a fire?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JD....after viewing that boat I asked myself what else I would want. That one doesn't leave much on my list. I dunno....if we had a million to spare....maybe that one would be as close as I could get to the ultimate boat for us, but I think my Admiral would want the office space for her shoe closet.

Larry: The 48 is my favourite boat. We love our 42, but if money was no object, this would be it. The 52 is just too much boat. We've been on Lynn and Neil Parker's Navigator (Seattle) which is about the same age. Also a lovely boat.

I remember reading about this couple and didn't connect the dots when you mentioned them a while back. If I recall they were from Vancouver Island. Didn't they own Cocoon, a 42 that was destroyed in a fire?

Jim

You're right, they lost Cocoon on the East Coast, in a fire after they had completely personalize her mechanically, electricaly, etc. It took them a while to get the 48. I can attest to bright work on Cocoon Too, it's spectacular.

They have a place in Port Alberni. You should look them up if you get over that way. They're gracious hosts.

Last edited:
I think I just fell in love......again.

That is one gorgeous boat.

That's a great looking boat at what seems to me to be a very reasonable price. I'm struggling not to hop on a plane to go see it. This time next year?

That's what I was thinking. Do you need another $500000 to operate it?

Sorry I would have to pass on that boat. Insufficient support for the anchor platform and too much freeboard.

If I had a million dollars... I'd probably gather the components for my engine, call the boat transport company and haul Seaweed down the coast to St. Pete. I've got a friend with resources there... That's what I'd do.

Then, I'd pay to have this blasted job finished (and swear never to replace an engine ever again)

However, as long as money is no object:
Have Seaweed spiffy shiny again (the 30 year old gelcoat could be better)
Add two more 100 watt Renogy solar panels
Buy four Walmart Group 29 marine batteries (one of mine died this month)
Install a plain old steers-a-compass-course autopilot
Fit a modified (1/2 transom height) tuna door
And be-still-my-heart never haul water again (Spectra watermaker with Z-Brane)

That's how I'd spend that much. Seaweed would continue to be my home. She suits me fine.

A KK, though beautiful is a couple's boat.

Otherwise, well, I've got my home, friends and a daughter that is a good child. Plus she made me a grandma. :)

Greetings,
If I had a million, I'd sell our current vessel and rent/charter for the next 10-15 years worldwide.

That's what I was thinking. Do you need another $500000 to operate it?

I assumed it was to maintain the varnish. :hide:

Richard

Exactly! And some house work. We're a bit boat poor right now.

"If I had a million dollars" is a fun and bouncy song by the Bare Naked Ladies"

Jim

I could get my dreamboat for a lot less than a million. Unfortunately, my ex admiral cost a lot more than a $million.

A KK, though beautiful is a couple's boat.

Whoa - I missed the memo. Oh well, I guess I'll have to be the exception.

Richard
Stillwater
KK 54 (singlehanding)

Doubt a boat with quadruple the space and price would return anything near quadruple the enjoyment for two people.

Besides, a much larger boat introduces negatives such as higher operating/maintenance costs and less likelihood of single-handed handling.

Last edited:
While the big KKs and NH in the megabuck price range are nice boats you all should note that those with the chips are not all thrilled with the big bulky trawler types. My two cents; boats like the big KK and NH have relatively narrow use sweet spots. Perhaps if you had the $ and were used to spending on big tag items you might become more applicative of other options. Best not to lust for a boat but to try an honest match of use pattern to design and abilities of a boat. I believe it is in reality a lot easier to say that then actually do it.

As the new owner of a "big bulky trawler" I should probably throw in my 2 cents.

I agree that the "sweet spot" for these boats is fairly narrow. I have no doubt that when it comes time to sell Stillwater it will take a while to find the right buyer. I am hoping that this will be a long time in the future. I read a lot about trawlers before my purchase - the common theme was "buy a boat that fits your needs now and not what you think you might possibly do one day in the future." Along similar lines I read "don't buy a boat designed to cross oceans if you're not going to cross oceans." I still think that is good advice.

In my case, I spent the last 15 years with a sailboat. I have taken her up and down the California coast, much of the time single handing. When I moved to a trawler I wanted a boat that I could do the same thing with. I wanted a boat that could take anything the California coast could throw at it. Additionally, I wanted a boat that I could comfortably live aboard long term. I have no desire to get places quickly - for me it's as much about the journey as the destination. I am already single handing my KK54 and plan to do much more unless I happen to meet someone else who wants to do it with me. This coming weekend I'll be single handing her out of the Golden Gate and up to Drakes Bay (Point Reyes). I was there on the trip down from Alaska last month - and was the only boat in the entire bay - that's a treat in itself.

I'm sure that it's not for everyone - or many people at all. If you plan to stay in protected waters then I'm sure there are better choices. However, my trip from Alaska to San Francisco reinforced that for me it's the right boat. It's not so much about "quadruple the enjoyment" or "quadruple the space," it's more about the right boat for me. Coming from a sailing background and with my usage that meant sea-keeping ability trumped all else.

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5

Sorry I would have to pass on that boat. Insufficient support for the anchor platform and too much freeboard.

To say nothing of the fact that it's an awful lot of money to pay for the privilege of creeping around like a glacier in a displacement boat.:). The formula in my math book is "more money equals more speed."

I'd buy you a K car, a nice Reliant automobile.

Whoa - I missed the memo. Oh well, I guess I'll have to be the exception.

Point taken.

Still, in my view a boat as large as yours to be maintained, kept clean, upgraded, etc. well, I'd want help. Let me restate: "For me although wonderful, a KK is too large."

You're encouraged to continue to be exceptional.

Back
Top Bottom