Re: Linseed oil on teak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Bristol finish, works really well I had my top deck cap rail done with it (which gets the most sun btw) and it lasted almost 2 seasons in SoCal Sunshine. I started using it inside so I will never have to do inside for as long as I live..

I have been using Sikkens Marine and diluting it by 40 % solvent and applying it with a rag on fresh teak;* then repeating 3 more coats (when each coat is dry).

This is on exterior teak. Looks good and lasts maximum 10 months.* I 'think' if you put it on in the spring and again in the fall, it will be better than most, as it doesn't seem to peel off. It does 'wash out' in places with most exposure to the elements.

I have been leaving out numerous samples of teak with a 'new' protective coating for the last ten years.....never found one that I would reccomend.

I believe , at the moment,* that Sikkens Marine is 'alright', if diluted and you keep applying it ....before it needs it.

regards...Ken

I have heard pros and cons on thinning Cetol - the can says not to, but I have read somewhere that others advise it. What would the gurus recommend, and if thinned, with what?

Carl,They use that Cetol stuff all over the place here in SE Alaska. Can't stand the orange color myself and I know they make clear now but having a hard time getting over the ogange that's still in my head. It would help (for me) if they'd say what it's made out of though. The Cetol I see seems to have a strong tendency to keep the wood from turning grey and I consider that very good. Perhaps the stuff they put in it that keeps the grey away is the stuff that makes it look orange??? I just looked in my Peter Culler book and he says kerosene "is often used mixed w linseed oil to drive the oil into the wood". *"some of us still think oil-base paint, usually white, grey, or red lead, sometimes all three in combination, well thinned with turps, is better as a primer on new work than the "undercoaters" often used, which dry quickly, are often hard and drive into the wood not at all". Mixing this w all the other stuff I've read by this man I'd wipe down w kerosene and thin w turpentine. All the above is relative to oil based paints and I haven't actually done the wipe w kero and coat w turp thinned oil based paints. Tung or linseed oil is to turpentine what BS is to politics. Turpentine aids penetration and it's mildew resistant too. I'd use turpentine to thin oil based paints.
Al Ross,
I think one must thin for a reason or not thin at all. Two main reasons to thin is penetrating ability or brush-ability. If you have a very low build coating and the surface is primed and sealed you surely won't want to thin unless you can't handle it w a brush. I'd say thin any oil based coating (heavily at first) when applying it to a porous surface and don't thin at all otherwise unless for brush-ability.
Ken,
I really like what you're doing but I'd use turpentine as the thinner.

Looks like it all comes from a crude oil refinery. Linseed oil, Tung oil and turpentine all come from trees. I don't understand the Kerosene connection that Pete Culler talks about. He also talks about Pine Tar and Tallow. Lots about Tallow. Soddard Solvent is too closely related to gasoline. Cheap to put in a can though.

Re: Linseed oil on teak

Hiya,
** Tung oil comes from trees?* I always figured it came from...

19419-bigthumbnail.jpg

Who'da thunk.* Well, I learned something today-Thanks

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 06:34:57 PM

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 06:35:12 PM

Back
Top Bottom