Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Matt, there's almost a vague 'Rivierery', (if I can coin the term) look about those side windows there. Which is good because I think they are neat looking boats. Just way too expensive for me, and thee, I suspect.

Correct you are. I love the Riviera 3600 sportfish. Can't afford one either

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

This afternoon I pulled the Tarp off, roof sheets lifted, insulation added, glue applied, roof sheets refitted and screwed off, cut out for glass roof hatches, sheets sanded ready for fibreglassing tomorrow afternoon/evening

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432025778.646821.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432025790.947165.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432025807.315040.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432025821.316163.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432025834.831791.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432025861.633894.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432025874.268165.jpg

This afternoon I pulled the Tarp off, roof sheets lifted, insulation added, glue applied, roof sheets refitted and screwed off, cut out for glass roof hatches, sheets sanded ready for fibreglassing tomorrow afternoon/evening

View attachment 40292
View attachment 40293
View attachment 40294
View attachment 40295
View attachment 40296
View attachment 40297
View attachment 40298

Matt Baby! Looking real good. What's the sq ft on top? Solar energy collection looks like slam dunk. AXE's house bank of batts could become really happy. On other hand great space for clothing optional sun bathing... or... flat out partying - ss hand rails another option - LOL

You've got me breathless again to see your next "creationary" moves for AXE. So glad you are back at it! Eventual launch is going to be kick-ass event!!

Cheers! - Art

Matt Baby! Looking real good. What's the sq ft on top? Solar energy collection looks like slam dunk. AXE's house bank of batts could become really happy. On other hand great space for clothing optional sun bathing... or... flat out partying - ss hand rails another option - LOL

You've got me breathless again to see your next "creationary" moves for AXE. So glad you are back at it! Eventual launch is going to be kick-ass event!!

Cheers! - Art

Thanks mate. Yeh I'm going to stick the Radome and other bits up there aft and then I'm going to put up 6 x 300watt solar panels with a MPPT controller to regulate the charge. That should be plenty for the batteries.

SHAZAMS! iT'S A BOAT.

I know ... I'm so excited and surprised HAHA. I've got about 1 week left of actual construction before the final shape is done then it'll be glassing and fairing then fit out and spraying :)

Last edited:
I'd say it's about time to set up a few chairs in the cockpit and crack open a few cold ones! And once you have the last piece of construction, don't forget to christen it with a bit of Rum to appease ole King Neptune.
Congrats Mat, it's coming right along and you can pat yourself on the back!

Hey Matt, there's almost a vague 'Rivierery', (if I can coin the term) look about those side windows there. Which is good because I think they are neat looking boats.

My first thought as well.

Insulation????

My Willard got noooo insulation.

Got me upstaged Matt.

My Wabasto is a little on the small side too.

And that truck is the coolest little truck I've ever seen!

Last edited:
I am a new member, so I have just finished all of the posts in this thread. Have to say (hoping the saying translates to an Australian) that it must be hard for you to walk with the big brass ones you must have to take on this project.

I worry about drilling holes to install davits and you tear the whole thing down to the keel! What are you going to do with all of the time that you have once you finish? You won't know what to do with yourself.

Not really a truck, it's a Ute! Think El Camino. Aussies love em. I think I do too...

Your ship is looking more glorious by the day, Mr. Hendo!

So Matt, not to be the downer here, but has any thought been given to the metacentric height of this boat?

I'll be the first to say that Beebe's concept of an A/B ratio has no merit, but gosh, those are some pretty heavy scantlings on the cabin roof. Seems like a lot of mass up high.

Will you at least do a rolling period test when you launch her?

I'd say it's about time to set up a few chairs in the cockpit and crack open a few cold ones! And once you have the last piece of construction, don't forget to christen it with a bit of Rum to appease ole King Neptune.
Congrats Mat, it's coming right along and you can pat yourself on the back!

Lol it's cold and wet here atm so I might have a hot cup of coffee instead lol

Insulation????

My Willard got noooo insulation.

Got me upstaged Matt.

My Wabasto is a little on the small side too.

Yep in the floors, walls and roof mate

I am a new member, so I have just finished all of the posts in this thread. Have to say (hoping the saying translates to an Australian) that it must be hard for you to walk with the big brass ones you must have to take on this project.

I worry about drilling holes to install davits and you tear the whole thing down to the keel! What are you going to do with all of the time that you have once you finish? You won't know what to do with yourself.

Lol g'day mate. Welcome. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the spare time after the novelty of AXE wears off ... Thanks for saying hi and I look froward to seeing some posts from you too :)

Not really a truck, it's a Ute! Think El Camino. Aussies love em. I think I do too...

Your ship is looking more glorious by the day, Mr. Hendo!

Yep she's an Aussie Holden one tonner (Ute). There are two types. The style side ute pic 1 and the one tonner tray back ute pic 2.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432098588.181863.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432098664.861273.jpg

So Matt, not to be the downer here, but has any thought been given to the metacentric height of this boat?

I'll be the first to say that Beebe's concept of an A/B ratio has no merit, but gosh, those are some pretty heavy scantlings on the cabin roof. Seems like a lot of mass up high.

Will you at least do a rolling period test when you launch her?

I worry about this everyday mate. Im going in to it blind and will "suck it and see"

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to have a read and do the tests. I may need to put some ballast in her by means of gravel bags but won't officially know till she's floating.

NS recognized the Riv window resemblance. Are there many Riviera boats in the US? The company, no longer under the founder Bill Barry-Cotter, had a near death financial hiccup, but has returned to profitability under third "owners" (E&EO on the history).
Great progress Matt. Keep it steady, no burnouts, with the boat or the ute.

This afternoon I glasses the roof was a mission but got it sorted.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432113930.087554.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432113943.700793.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432113972.070659.jpg

Found my next project. Might make some for my retiree friends on here..! Lol ... Any takers?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432114072.809040.jpg

Don't see the drink holder, must have been a designer oversight.

NS recognized the Riv window resemblance. Are there many Riviera boats in the US? The company, no longer under the founder Bill Barry-Cotter, had a near death financial hiccup, but has returned to profitability under third "owners" (E&EO on the history).
Great progress Matt. Keep it steady, no burnouts, with the boat or the ute.

There is a Riviera dealer on Vancouver Island. Fairly common to see around here.

Yes Rivera's are common down where we are too.

Ok well it was a very exciting day today. I took my first bit of interior to the trimmers this morning before work. I got some ideas and picked colours. I dropped off the console for him to get started on. The seams and joins will be double stitched in the copper colour thread.

The colours will look great with the contrasting blacks throughout the place as well as the gloss white kitchen and black bench tops etc

The admiral has given her approval so it's all system go now.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432209993.888533.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432210026.223902.jpg

Very exciting times ahead.

I'm very pleased to hear you mention "Admiral".

Great Captain deserves Great Admiral; and vise-versa!

I take it that "F" is first letter in of Admiral's name... :socool: :D

Da-lhe Hendo...Tudo se renova, tudo se melhora! Nada nunca fica do jeito que era antes.

This is portuguese from an old song

I'm very pleased to hear you mention "Admiral".

Great Captain deserves Great Admiral; and vise-versa!

I take it that "F" is first letter in of Admiral's name... :socool: :D

Yeh Flic forgave me for being a boy and not wanting to talk about anything other than the boat for four years, especially feelings and **** :-/ ....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom