View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #115
Starside

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
The electrician said although I can get up to 6.2 knots, it's not rec. I need to stay at 5.5 knots & have to watch amps as it relates to battery life. I also can only use 50% of my battery charge, which was a surprise to me. This effects her range - more like 2 hours instead of 4 which I expected.

In other words, I thought I was converting to get 7 knots & 4 hour range but reality is very different.

My disappointment is that she cannot safely cross the Bay. I had hoped to cruise to St. Mikes but was told she can't make it. She's now a river boat.

I was also told that a portable generator will only give her a 20% additional range which means that's basically useless.

Who knew? I'm disappointed in that, esp after the Huge cost to convert. Honestly, I was expecting so much more but now facing a different reality.

Granted, I don't mind that she's now a River boat - probably best for her in the long run, but I do have to adjust my expectations re the conversion...

Anyway, my lesson is next week so I'll know then re her range, charge time & speed. I'll post here with the specs. 😎
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote