Greetings from Jacksonville FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superdave

Hello,
I just stumbled across this forum while doing some research on trawlers. Last year My family (wife & two daughters 2&4) purchased a house on the St. John's river. We really enjoyed our first summer of living on the river! Currently we have a 20ft deck boat. It's great to cruise the river to different restaurants and fun spots. Recently I have been hounding my neighbor about his Albin 33. After several evenings of libations and stories of his good times on the boat I think I have finally decided to buy it . I'm just really excited with the thought of heading out with my family and creating memories that will last a lifetime. The boat will need some elbow grease to get her ship shape but I am looking forward to the challenge. Initially I plan to cruise just in Florida, different springs and towns along the intercoastal. The boat is very well equipped with a lot of new parts... Generator, dual AC , fuel tanks, radar , new canvas still in the box as well as a new inflatable. Looking forward to gaining a lot of knowledge from this forum.
Thanks in advance,
David

Welcome Superdave, lets see some pictures of your new yacht. You will receive a lot of excellent advice but little elbow grease from the great members of this forum.

Ray

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Get a good marine survey! Whilst I would hope your neighbor would be forthcoming with any deficiencies, he may not know of potential problems which could end up costing you a pile of money to rectify and the loss of your neighbor as a friend. Go into this with your eyes wide open my friend. This is NOT the time to get all dreamy eyed.

Welcome SuperDave? This isn't Dave Crossan is it?

Welcome and good luck with the Albin.

It's great to have fellow boaters/cruisers on the St. Johns. Too many fisherman and not enough cruisers :)

Welcome to the forum!

I am definitely going in eyes wide open. The owner makes no promises at all. The motor has 1500 hours. It has definitely been neglected for the past two years. It is kind of an as is deal. My neighbor said I can do whatever I want with it before any money exchanges hands. I found a close marina that will pull it out of the water and put it on a stand for $150. I have several friends that are willing to help in exchange for free boat rides to hooters lol. The owner already has bottom paint as well as a ton of other supplies. I figured I will be in it $500 cleaned fresh bottom paint and some other items. If it does not work out I'll be out $500, no big deal.

This is great advise below, just tell him you need it for insurance purposes as not to create any hard feelings.
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Get a good marine survey! Whilst I would hope your neighbor would be forthcoming with any deficiencies, he may not know of potential problems which could end up costing you a pile of money to rectify and the loss of your neighbor as a friend. Go into this with your eyes wide open my friend. This is NOT the time to get all dreamy eyed.

Greetings,
Mr. Mm. I'd forgotten about the insurance aspect. Good point. In fact Mr. S WILL need a survey if he wishes to insure. I would suggest Mr. S, a survey: Sea trial THEN haul ($150) and proceed from there if you so decide.

Awesome!
Welcome aboard and all the best building those memories.
Wish I had done that when my kids were little.

Make the best of the time my friend.

OD

Thanks for the advice about the survey. I have reached out to several boat surveyors and am waiting on responses. I a a little nervous about the hull. The boat has not been out of the water for three years and I am concerned about blisters in the hull. Assuming the survey goes well I am definitely going to have the boat pulled before everything is final.

The boat has not been out of the water for three years and I am concerned about blisters in the hull.

While there may well be blisters on the hull (although I hope not), there is not any particular correlation between the boat not being out of the water for three years, and blisters. Apples and oranges.

Been in Jacksonville (Ortega River) for the past month...very nice area and nice boating. Soon to be moving north.

Welcome to the forum. I totally agree with following the often used practice in buying a boat - Survey, Motor Survey then think about it. You might also what to find an Albin's Owners group or forum to get their input.

Good luck and have fun.

Welcome aboard. Nice to have another Floridian. Don't just cruise the ICW. Go up River South on the St. John's. You can get all the way up river down to Sanford.
The St. John's is a confusing River isn't it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom