Waked in San Augustine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So tell us on how a trawler can be traveling at say 6-7 knots and not have to slow down while another vessel manages to pass it at a greater speed without creating a wake and causing it to roll or turn sharply in behind the passing vessel to avoid being rolled?

Unless of course you are talking about the slow vessel being over taken by a fast vessel that rolls up right on its stern and then chops the throttle at the last minute while its own wake/stern wave pushes it passed the slower vessel without rolling it.

While that works very well for fast boats passing slow boats, unless the slow boat fully understands what you are about to do it scares the Hell out of them. :D

Of course if you want to get all technical about it, the vessel being overtaken is required to maintain its speed and heading. But in the ICW dealing with all different skill levels of operators, I think both vessels slowing down when over taking is probably the prudent way to go.

But as always, YMMV.

We do a fast cruise. When coming up on a slower vessel, I will ask on the radio if the overtaken vessel will slow down for a slow pass on the port. It usually works. The pass goes faster, and no one gets rocked.

Call and ask what they want...me..I tell'em to blast on by...I'm too dang slow as it is.

Most of the time I just find the room to put their wake on my stern and get a free push. Its rare that I have to do otherwise.

Last edited:
Well, it has been 2 mornings in a row without a tsunami sent to the mooring field by the 2 commercial I spoke of in my initial post. Seems the bell has been rung.

I'm not sure why anyone uses the city mooring field. Between the current, wind chop and boat wakes it is anything but a comfortable anchorage. We always anchor up into Salt Run by the light house. Dinghy dock at conch marina. No wind, no current and no a## hole captains.

FF: Where are you getting coffee for a dime?

If you use the reusable cup and poor man's coffee....

But I don't think the 10 cent comment needed to be 100 percent accurate to make the point.

Last edited:
"Unless of course you are talking about the slow vessel being over taken by a fast vessel that rolls up right on its stern and then chops the throttle at the last minute while its own wake/stern wave pushes it passed the slower vessel without rolling it.

While that works very well for fast boats passing slow boats, unless the slow boat fully understands what you are about to do it scares the Hell out of them. :D"

All very true , but IT WORKS !

To my mind the simple solution to the wake problem would be for the offender to simply change departure time by 10 min or so.

He could then mill about smartly in the current waiting for the bridge to open, and not cause a Hissy Fit from smooth water yachties.

Last edited:
"I am having a hard time letting this go, I want a piece of him, I want to hurt him professionally, any suggestions?"

No surprise there! Would not his head on a Pike be your usual demand?

A great idea for an anchor ball!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

"FF: Where are you getting coffee for a dime?"

We use an expresso pot as the 4 cup unit actually creates 2 US sized cups of Joe.

This is the fastest method we have found .

Its true the new bags of coffee are at best 11 - or 12 OZ ,

so a dime a cup remains a pre inflation memory

Yes, that 10 cents for a cup of coffee went the same place as nickel beer nights-just a fond memory.

For the self inflicted cancer folks ,

A carton of smokes in Gitmo was a dollar! ,,,,,,,,1960's

Never smoked , but cartons were great gifts.

We're this a trucker on the road I would chase him down and have a discussion with his company safety man. Not possible here

Why not? Write a letter to the local sports fishing rag. Write a letter TO the specific company. Write a letter to the Record. Write a letter to the BBB.

Unless you have actual damage it is unactionable. Wanting revenge over Hurting your sense of FairPlay or your ethos is pretty far down the list of things to get even over.

Best way to get a public company's attention is...... Publicly.

St Augustine city is all about the dollars from visitors. I recall reading a city budget years ago and there was a given about parking ticket revenue which was budgeted at several hundreds of dollars annually. The downtown merchants carry a big stick and will fix any thing that threatens there money stream like bad press or talk amongst boaters. You have to play the game by their rules, and money talks.

Yes he has something to loose, but unless he was in a no wake zone he is not in violation of any statute or navigation rule.

As far as the damage to boats or their contents, or even people again unless he was in a no wake zone he has zero libality.

While I feel for you, and I've been caught by suprise by large wakes myself, there is really no recourse in a situation like this.

As a former Coast Guard officer in involved with small boat law enforcement, let me assure you that this is simply not true. The individual is responsible for any damage that his/her wake causes. If you can prove the individual caused the damage, which seems possible in this case, then the liability is clear.

As a former Coast Guard officer in involved with small boat law enforcement, let me assure you that this is simply not true. The individual is responsible for any damage that his/her wake causes. If you can prove the individual caused the damage, which seems possible in this case, then the liability is clear.

Welcome aboard DTMay! Thanks for the comment and hopefully you will continue to contribute from a perspective few of us have had the opportunity to experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom