View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 03:16 AM   #32
DCBD

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
How big is Wayfarer's boat? He may only need 1/4" chain. I've come to the conclusion that 1/4"chain would be alright for my 30' 8ton boat w/o a FB. In Alaska I was thinking 5/16" chain was necessary but think now that 1/4" HT should be fine. Perhaps not even HT. Especially down here in benign weathered Washington State.

Wayfarer I isually use 3/8ths chain for the first 4' and then 10 or 12' of 1/4" chain. Then 400' of 5/8ths nylon Brait. I hand pulled for awhile but up graded to a small (noisy) capstan. Just made it easier to pull. I don't think I need more chain but most here disagree w me. Have you had anchoring performance issues w your 4' of chain and nylon rode?
I only have 1/4" HT chain on my boat. From what I was told it is as strong as 3/8" BBB. I anchor almost exclusively and have never had any reason to be concerned. My boat catches a lot of wind and I've sat out some pretty windy nights but never had a problem. I've randomly measured links but have not found any to be stretched or elongated.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote