Waked in San Augustine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always look for a place to anchor away from crowds and traffic and have not had any serious wake problems while anchored. While underway is a different story, the a/holes who pass from behind to close for me to safely turn into their wake are the ones who need to be marked with a paintball gun.

The key is the 6 knot zone you indicated.

Same situation take away the 6 knot speed zone,narrow channel one boat going hull speed, another wanting to pass. Boat passing is going to throw up a large wake, just to get up speed to pass. ...

The passing boat should call the slower boat to slow down some more to effect a pass. This seems to be rarely done, but this Nordic Tug asked for a pass and we reduced speed.

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C59783336nu0mrj

This "running shoe" did not:

232323232%7Ffp7348%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D39495%3A4%3A92336nu0mrj

We have only been seriously waked once (to the point where stuff falls and breaks) and that was by the coast guard in one of those aluminum cabin large inflatable thingys with about 4 outboard motors. I assume he was on a rescue or something important although he could have still given a little more room as he came by. Didn't even see him coming on my backup camera. Kinda keeps you on your toes.

We have only been seriously waked once (to the point where stuff falls and breaks) and that was by the coast guard ...

Did you note the boat pictured in post #18 was USCG?

Yes Mark I did. This was a little less 'salty' looking but she sure could move!

... On the boat's return (when picture was taken), I was prepared, turning into the wake and moving the throttle to idle! ...

Like me and another boat in another situation turning 90 degrees to meet boats' wakes:

232323232%7Ffp7349%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3949598%3A9%3A336nu0mrj

While you miight feel vindicated, the reality is that if the owner decided to treat your area as a no wake zone, if in fact it is not, he was just being nice. He has no requirement to go at no wake speed, and coffee with the local harbormaster won't change that.

I would suggest you and the other boat owners be very thankful that the owner is operating his boats in a manner you prefer, because if he is treated in a "we gotcha way" he can easily and legally speed up again.

I think that your local harbormaster probably nicely requested that he slow down, and the owner probably very nicely agreed but again that does not carry the force of law.

"Ongoing Problem" and 100 x $20 a day for mooring and "within the City of San Augustine" leads me to believe that this nut WILL be cracked quick, irrespective of no wake zones, operating within the law and so forth. This sh!t will not stand if the Harbormaster determines enough is enough. The visits were just to show the HM was "working" with this guy. Documentation, documentation and more documentation will beat him in the ground. If the message is ignored, then hide and watch.

This city owned Marina and mooring field generates a lot of $ for the city, state and county. One tour boat/party boat operator is not going to continue to piss off the City HM and get by with it. The privat boat/yacht people spend a lot of money in SA, one pissant tour boat company will be replaced quickly.

This operator may have "nicely agreed" but if the St Johns Marine Sheriffs and the city come down he will be out of business.... Like I said...safety checks, license checks and so on and so on. Best thing for everybody is to just SLOW DOWN by the mooring field.

Last edited:
Waked in San Augistine

Is the harbormaster God or something?

We're in a no wake except for watersports (single engine vessels under 21' engaged in watersports) area. Makes it interesting. But we're use to it, having lived on a lake.

Yes, I tow skiers often up in the aventura area and also lake Sylvia. Have had the police boats called on multiple times only for them to tell the disgruntled people that what I'm doing is perfectly legal. Then again this a 17ft boat and not a 30ft sea Ray.

Yes, I tow skiers often up in the aventura area and also lake Sylvia. Have had the police boats called on multiple times only for them to tell the disgruntled people that what I'm doing is perfectly legal. Then again this a 17ft boat and not a 30ft sea Ray.

Well, I use to water ski a lot. The idea of doing it in these areas though has no appeal to me. The stretches are too small (I use to like to ski 20 miles or so at a time) and something about dodging yachts and even worse sailboats who seem to be intent on turning it into a slalom course. I just don't see water skiing as an ICW type activity.

We're kids! Getting out on the water is great! Skiing is even better!!

Is the harbormaster God or something?

No, but in city, county government he has a seat at the table. He represents a money making entity that the city has invested heavily in and expect to see a return on their investment. Someone(s) in city government hired him, expects him to do the job, have a vested interest in him and the Marina being successful. Therefore if he shows a specific problem with a specific commercial operator then the city and perhaps the county will listen to the HM. MONEY TALKS AND BS WALKS. The HM cuts more Sh!t than a commercial operator. Follow the money.

He is not God and a boater who advertises to have a Nordhaven (one of the finest yachts built) I am surprised you would make a Sea Ray comment. Not that Sea Rays are bad boats but on this string, not by me, they and their owners have been profiled and that comment,,, uggg, well???..never mind.

Waked in San Augistine

Well I'm a sporty guy at heart (what I learned most of what I know on) that may have something to do with it. That and some jackass uncles of mine..:D

One could say the same thing about some sea taxi's on the new River, but if you dock in that area you're asking to be waked often.

Last edited:
Well I'm a sporty guy at heart (what I learned most of what I know on) that may have something to do with it. That and some jackass uncles of mine..:D

One could say the same thing about some sea taxi's on the new River, but if you dock in that area you're asking to be waked often.

I read what you said, twice. Have you? I have been drinking, but not much. Have you? How much? Still do not understand what you mean. I will review in the AM and try to understand. Likely my issue. Until we meet again..sleep well, I hope to.

Waked in San Augistine

LOL!:rofl:

Sporty guys are supposed to be the bad guys in the trawler realm or do I got this alI wrong?

:whistling:You B way ahead of me. Not too sure what a "sporty" trawler guy is, not knowing makes me nervous? I will use soap on a rope in the Marina shower just to be safe. Hate to drop it and find out the hard way, but I am overly cautious I guess...:D.

:whistling:You B way ahead of me. Not too sure what a "sporty" trawler guy is, not knowing makes me nervous? I will use soap on a rope in the Marina shower just to be safe. Hate to drop it and find out the hard way, but I am overly cautious I guess...:D.

Wifey B: Sporty be a wild teen who likes to have fun and who may like the slow boat from China but likes to cut loose in the tender too. You were young once weren't you? :hide:

We like cruising but we still like our 40 knot boats. That's slowed way down as our boat on the lake was 55 knots.

Now as to Marina shower...I can't bring myself to actually try one of those. Probably don't have to worry about the soap but you probably should check for cameras or holes in the walls and stuff next time. Check the ceiling too. Smile. You could be on Candid Camera XXX edition. :)

Thanks for clearing up my ignorance about "sporty". As for the showers... I feel better about that too, for anyone that wants to spy on a 68 year old 250lb white haired man showering.....uggg, have at it. In fact I will pose..that perversion just too removed from my understanding that out of pity I will feed it and try to help.

As for my Marina showers at Fort Pierce, Harbortown...private, elegant...granite even, all tile...first class. I normally shower on the boat but not at my home Marina.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Sporty be a wild teen who likes to have fun and who may like the slow boat from China but likes to cut loose in the tender too. You were young once weren't you? :hide:

We like cruising but we still like our 40 knot boats. That's slowed way down as our boat on the lake was 55 knots.

Now as to Marina shower...I can't bring myself to actually try one of those. Probably don't have to worry about the soap but you probably should check for cameras or holes in the walls and stuff next time. Check the ceiling too. Smile. You could be on Candid Camera XXX edition. :)

:thumb: Hey now don't be pickin' on my slow boat to China! It's ashame, I would use my comeback that I tell all my sport friends when they make fun of how sometime sea weed passes me. I tell them you wanna race " first one to Europe wins" . Alas you have 3 times my range. :D

Issues of legality and decent proper behavior cannot be equated. You might be legally entitled to carry out some antisocial act but that doesn`t mean you should.

:thumb: Hey now don't be pickin' on my slow boat to China! It's ashame, I would use my comeback that I tell all my sport friends when they make fun of how sometime sea weed passes me. I tell them you wanna race " first one to Europe wins" . Alas you have 3 times my range. :D

Hell, single screw, 135hp Ford L. 25,000lb dry, I get passed by sail boats on the ICW. In fact I thought about changing her name to SloMoFo.. Whole bunch of jokes starting with...

You think your boat is slow, my boat... Or my boat is so slow that....

No current, 7knots comfortable cruse.:socool:

Hell, single screw, 135hp Ford L. 25,000lb dry, I get passed by sail boats on the ICW. In fact I thought about changing her name to SloMoFo.. Whole bunch of jokes starting with...

You think your boat is slow, my boat... Or my boat is so slow that....

No current, 7knots comfortable cruse.:socool:

That's what we cruise at, 7.3 normally and 7.5 on a good day. With the gulfstream behind us it's a whole nother story.

Issues of legality and decent proper behavior cannot be equated. You might be legally entitled to carry out some antisocial act but that doesn`t mean you should.

How bout it's the nature of anchoring in a area designated for skiers.

I feel ur pain brother....but ya can go north only so long. I plot tides like a sail boater.... Damned pitiful....till I fuel up.

100 x $20 a day for mooring and "within the City of San Augustine" leads me to believe that this nut WILL be cracked quick, irrespective of no wake zones, operating within the law and so forth.
This operator may have "nicely agreed" but if the St Johns Marine Sheriffs and the city come down he will be out of business.... Like I said...safety checks, license checks and so on and so on. Best thing for everybody is to just SLOW DOWN by the mooring field.

Surely, the civilised way for this and similar issues to be resolved is for the appropriate authority to make it a no-wake zone. In our part of the world any small craft mooring area and proximity to a marina displays prominent 6kn speed signs on all approaches, repeated on the channel markers if present until past or out of the zone. The parties concerned need to put this case up asap. It should not have to rest with the harbourmaster's discretion. He needs to be backed up by signs, backed by the law.

"The passing boat should call the slower boat to slow down some more to effect a pass. This seems to be rarely done, but this Nordic Tug asked for a pass and we reduced speed."

This is the common , unskilled, method of a passing situation.

Sadly it is the most common and slows both vessels .

With instruction , and practice there is no reason for speed reduction of the slow boat , if a pass done properly.

Most trawlers and sailboats travel well under hull speed (too much fuel for a minor speed increase) so most can pass at cruise with no problem.

The problem comes from unskilled sport fish, 25K and up that have no idea on technique .

"ALWAYS my adversary , even when I am RIGHT on OTDE, now here. "

So far on OTDE you were only right once in years of left wing rants , supporting Obummers TPP .

I gave you credit for having a non lock step position.Once , you were right!

Last edited:
I read what you said, twice. Have you? I have been drinking, but not much. Have you? How much? Still do not understand what you mean. I will review in the AM and try to understand. Likely my issue. Until we meet again..sleep well, I hope to.

Oliver, you have just got to start laying off the sauce!:D

"The passing boat should call the slower boat to slow down some more to effect a pass. This seems to be rarely done, but this Nordic Tug asked for a pass and we reduced speed."

This is the common , unskilled, method of a passing situation.

Sadly it is the most common and slows both vessels .

With instruction , and practice there is no reason for speed reduction of the slow boat , if a pass done properly.

Most trawlers and sailboats travel well under hull speed (too much fuel for a minor speed increase) so most can pass at cruise with no problem.

The problem comes from unskilled sport fish, 25K and up that have no idea on technique .

"ALWAYS my adversary , even when I am RIGHT on OTDE, now here. "

So far on OTDE you were only right once in years of left wing rants , supporting Obummers TPP .

I gave you credit for having a non lock step position.Once , you were right!

So tell us on how a trawler can be traveling at say 6-7 knots and not have to slow down while another vessel manages to pass it at a greater speed without creating a wake and causing it to roll or turn sharply in behind the passing vessel to avoid being rolled?

Unless of course you are talking about the slow vessel being over taken by a fast vessel that rolls up right on its stern and then chops the throttle at the last minute while its own wake/stern wave pushes it passed the slower vessel without rolling it.

While that works very well for fast boats passing slow boats, unless the slow boat fully understands what you are about to do it scares the Hell out of them. :D

Of course if you want to get all technical about it, the vessel being overtaken is required to maintain its speed and heading. But in the ICW dealing with all different skill levels of operators, I think both vessels slowing down when over taking is probably the prudent way to go.

But as always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom