Garmin vs Furuno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I've been assuming I'd install Garmin MFDs, sonar and radar in our electronics refit, but Furuno has recently caught my eye.

The Garmin 7612xsv has chirp and downvu built in--an extravagance certainly--but still kind of cool to have. The GMR 24 XHD dome has decent specs and is about $2K.

The 12-inch Furuno TZTouch2 is about $1K less than the Garmin, has conventional sonar built in and Active Captain. Furuno's DRS4D dome has slightly lesser specs than the Garmin and is a few hundred cheaper.

I realize I'm taking a very superficial look here, so I'd appreciate experienced people's opinions of these MFDs and radars, ease of use, quality of the mapping software, strength of customer service, etc.

Thanks!

I've been very happy with my TZ touch and radar. Adding sonar as we speak. I'm not sure about TZT2 but I can imagine it will be good. Furuno customer service is some of the best in the business. I find my TZT very easy and intuitive to use, very big upgrade from NN3D. I like MM3D formatted C-Map charts.

Think a lot of your decision depends on the type of cruising you plan to do. Really like my pair of networked Navnets for my charter boat where I run up to 60 miles off shore in the ocean. For the inland, near coastal, and maybe a hop across to the Bahamas, the Garmin network is more than enough after changing the radar antenna. Felt Garmin offered more accessory options at more reasonable prices.

Ted

We have Garmin 7212s with Garmin radar and sonar. Really like them. Very user friendly, easy to learn and easy to use, easy integration. The 7612 was not available when we bought our 7212s, but very tempting to upgrade so we could get the better sonar.

Angus-find the recent thread here started by Twisted Tree on his electronics installation and his travails with it. You can also fins his extended discussion on his website mvtanglewood.com.. It is pretty interesting and should give you some ideas on replacing your electronics.

Hi. Over the yrs I've found both very similar when you get into the upper market ones. But I always use separate Furuno Radar.(You can superimpose).
it gives best close definition for tight work. Picking moorings at 3 am pissin rain howling wind strange anchorage.
That little 24 miler is magic, then some.They leave all others for dead when tuned right.(originally it was a 16m then rechipped to 24 for free)

And if you a fisherman who likes bottom fishing. I've yet to find a better "bottom Lock" than the B/W Furuno LS 6100. It's phenominal.

From the folks I have talked with the Furuno is for the folks that want a simple very reliable system underway.

The Garmin seems to attract the bells and whistles folks that enjoy a 600 page operating manual , to study dockside.

Thanks, all. The more I read about the TZtouch2, the more impressed I am. Just won't be available for a month or so. Which is OK; I just need to pick a transducer while the boat's still on land.

Back
Top Bottom