Chemainus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snakeriveridaho

Veteran Member
Hello everyone,

We are considering stopping by Chemainus on our next trip. We would also go by Telegraph Harbour. We would be going up that way from around Ganges. What are peoples experiences with Chemainus? Other options would be Montague Harbor or maybe Maple Bay. What are some opinions?

Thanks! :)
Kirk

Chemainus is a pretty cool town. It's worth visiting just to see all the murals on the buildings.

We do not take our boat to Chemainus itself. We much prefer to go to Telegraph Harbor across the channel on Thetis Island and then take the ferry over to Chemainus. Our favorite marina on Thetis is the first one you come to on the way in, Thetis Harbor Marina. The marina at the head of the harbor, Telegraph Harbor Marina, is very nice but a bit to upmarket for our taste. We prefer the more "local" Thetis Harbor Marina.

From this marina it's a short walk over the hill to the ferry dock.

Photo is of me and Albi the dog participating in one of the Chemainus murals.

Attachments

• Chemainus Mural.jpg
    Chemainus Mural.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Marin neglected to mention the ice cream. There are many funky little shops in the main part of town that are touristy but fun. Ice cream. If you venture away from the core, especially to the north, there are many interesting houses of an artsy fartsy nature. Ice cream. And if you have time there are various stage presentations either at their outdoor theatre or in the Chemainus Theatre Festival. Ice cream.

So Conrad--- thread creep. We're going to muck about in the Gulf Islands this September for a couple of weeks. One of the places we've never been is Ladysmith. We hear it's a nice place to visit and the harbor's been improved recently. Have you been there and if so, what's your opinion?

Marin,

We were there last summer and it was wonderful. The Ladysmith Maritime Society docks are new, nice and clean. There is a community art studio just up the road from the dock, the bakery is very good and the butcher shop is excellent. The blackberry picking isn't bad either, Jill made blackberry scones at the dock to share with the neighbors.

We will stop again this year.

Hey Marin, I haven't been near Ladysmith harbour in a number of years so can't really comment. But I will be passing by via car in the next couple of weeks so be drop down and check it out. Bob's comments have piqued my interest - gotta love a good bakery, along with everything else.

Maybe Pamela herself might show up?

The city docks at Chemainus are OK with good power and water. Call ahead for a reservation. Good walking, food, drink, shopping, and as mentioned Island Farm ice cream. The bakery in Ladysmith is nearly perfect.

Hello everyone,

Other options would be Montague Harbor or maybe Maple Bay. What are some opinions?

Maple Bay is very nice. Genoa Bay across the hill is our favorite of the two, but it's close to six of one, half dozen of the other. Montegue is a nice marine park but in the summer it can get pretty packed. You can sometimes get transportation from the marina in Montague to the town on the other side of the island where the ferry dock is.

At Montague Harbor we rent mopeds and explore the island. There is a resort near the ferry dock that has an amazing mural made up of hundreds of individual paintings arranged into an image of an Orca. On the Straights of Georgia side you will find a beautiful hard rock beach. The moped folks have maps for all these places.

Chemainus government dock is small be sure to call ahead. Subject to ferry wash but that's part of the atmosphere. Wharfinger is great, a local legend.
Be sure to check out the diner theater. Tent island has a nice anchorage depending on weather. Also check out Wallace Island and Pirates Cove on Decorcy Island

Taking the ferry to Chemanius from Thetis is the way to go. But a round trip ferry ride plus a casual walk thru town plus lunch does take a full day. You'll want to stay two nights at one of the marinas if you plan to include Chemanuis. I much prefer it over the ferry wash and somewhat tight marina of Chemanius.

Great comments and you have picked nice places to visit. I personally reverse Marin's comments on Telegraph. The farther-in marina has cleaner showers, good laundry facilities, and a lovely little restaurant with great ice cream. New-ish owners have made the grounds and docks lovely.

The first marina is acceptable, has a bar with good bar food and an attached liquor store. Nothing wrong with it, but given the choice I take the first one I described.

Rob

Wow!
Thanks for all the great information and suggestions. I believe, from Macia or Sucia we will head to Poet's Cove and then to Ganges for the farmer's market. From there we will head to Telegraph Harbour and take the ferry over to Chemainus. After that we will head south to Genoa Bay for a night then down to Victoria before heading back to the San Juan Islands.

All of the places mentioned sound great. Having too many nice places to choose from is a nice problem! We are going to have to save some for another trip.

We start our trip from Bellingham in a week and a half. The trip planning gets you excited. Going through the charts, tide tables, and guide books is a great part of the process.

Thanks again!

Kirk

From my memory, Chemainus=ice cream, like Sidney=power wheel chairs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom