Sure am tired of waiting,,,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
The assemblers of marine goodies seem asleep at the factory again.

Sure I know its hard to scrap a production line and start over ,

BUT,

Where are the marine Mini split air cond? They are in house use worldwide , none for boats?

Many new cars have a transmission that does not shift , just changes output speed .

For boat it would be fantastic as the lowest engine RPM that would give the speed desired would also be the most efficient if the set it up that way.The efficiency of a CPP or cruising prop with no operating knowledge required.

Good fuel burn , great longer engine life and the lowest noise on board! So where is it?

The guts are in dozens of cars , so subcontractors already supply the market.

With compressors heat can be produced far less expensively than with a resistance element, (1/5)
12v hot water from extra solar juice could be used.

Lots of concepts to make our cruising better , where is the hardware?

They certainly charge a huge premium for "boat" stuff , when do we get some VALUE?

Dick Tracy's wrist watch doesn't do it for me.

Function , not Bling ,,,

Last edited:
My guess is that the market is so small in the overall scheme of things that the development and production costs would never be recouped. If the global market for the iPhone was just five hundred to a thousand units they'd cost $20,000 apiece. Nobody would pay that for a phone so it would never get developed or made.

We just bought a new video camera. The camera was $25,000, the lens was $35,000. Great camera and lens but the market is very, very small. In this case the market is willing to pay that to get one of the best video cameras and lenses in the world.

I suspect there are far more great ideas that never get produced because of this than there are ideas that actually make it into production.

Last edited:
Buy one and install it Fred. I told Paul on the Cajun Rose a while back,"unless you can find in the manual something specifically excluding boat use go for it"

Gonna need a noisemaker, no chop chops allowed.

FF said "They certainly charge a huge premium for "boat" stuff , when do we get some VALUE?"

Harrruummmppphhhh!

I just spent $95 Cdn for the maintenance kit for my Spurs Line Cutter! It's got a zinc the size of your thumb, two pieces of plastic bearings, two Allen bolts (w washers no less) and three small plastic (or are they nylon) plugs. Might have cost the supplier $2.

...they found an easy one coming!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
FF the size of the market is limited. I just bought a Honda w the CVT and really like it. But another reason the CVT isn't in boats is that from a standpoint of wear and operational dynamics having to work most all the time w the belt in one position may prematurely wear the thing out. It may be dependant on the continuously changing speeds, loads and belt positions for survival.

Sure love the thing in my car though.

As for me I'm not overpowered and my fwd and reverse gear work just fine. I think at 2300rpm (cruise) my prop speed and load are about perfect. If your big engine's making too much noise get a smaller one. Works for me.

No question compared to houses or even RV the market is small,

BUT ,

take a look at your boat air cond stuff , Almost NOTHING was made by the "Mfg" , it was just stuck on a bent tray (probably from a supplier) and marked up 300% and sold to you!

Most stuff comes from OTS sources , most marine equipment costs seem to be advertising .

I think we are getting hosed on price and being sold antiques.

FF having an old boat here on TF w a bunch of guys w other old boats ... and your engine is old too. Being sold antiques should be a natural.

An old Detroit engine is great , antique it might be but ,only a Gardener might last longer.

AS more marinas are charging for electric the acceptance of antique power hog systems seems strange to me as so many post about " efficient" operation.

Boats usually spend 99% of their days in a slip, Thats where efficiency savings can be easily had.

I know my rants about insisting on marine fuel tanks , instead of a box for fuel , fall on dead ears , as its too hard to convince the boat assembler to spend a dollar.

Systems purchased/installed by the owner might have a better chance at gaining efficiency.

Those mini splits are not all they are cracked up to be. I know of several resorts, etc. who jumped on them when they first came out 7 to 10 years ago. Because of high maintenance cost, unreliability, and other issues, most of these people are not very happy with their choices. And these users have been no where near salt water.

No way would I even consider these for a boat, fresh or salt water.

"who jumped on them when they first came out 7 to 10 years ago. Because of high maintenance cost, unreliability, and other issues, most of these people are not very happy with their choices."

No question the installation skills have to be higher than the usual house system.

Most installers have developed the skills over a decade.

Don't get me started on Solar Thermal hot water, with or without radiant heat, etc, etc.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom