Old 05-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #159
Ski in NC
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
The Coast Guard released this information today.

Now I fully understand the difference between cause-and-affect and correlation. But it makes you wonder. What percentage of boaters were using electronic vs paper charts in 2013/4 vs 1973?

The answer is obvious. And yes, there are other factors at play here too. But as navigation has moved from throwing potatoes off the bow to integrated MFD's and autopilots, the results have been an incredible increase in safety.

One thing the CG didn't mention was the amount that boating was up over 2013 and 2014 over the previous 5 years. Those 5 years were the start of the transition to full electronics onboard. So more use with fewer fatalities. If only every analysis were so simple.

Electronic navigation doesn't make you immune from risk - no one ever claimed that. You're just less at risk the more you remove paper charts from use.
For one willing to accept the difference between causation and correlation, you sure jump quick into making a statement of causation.

I think if you were to look into the details of each rec boating death, both in 1973 and in 2014, I will venture that most involved neither paper nor electonic charting.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote