Stored fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoomie

Hello folks;

My Vessel has been on the hard for two seasons now with two full tanks.

I am looking for suggestions as to conditioning recommendations. Or, if I should condition.

New filters and flash up?

Thoughts?

Thanks

How much fuel is there? Unless it's one of the newest common rail diesels, I would just run it and keed spare filters on hand.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. z. If you have a Marine Trader, you probably have Lehman(s) power. In which case Mr. OC's advice is spot on (run it and get spare filters). It wouldn't hurt to change filters but probably not necessary unless they have had water in them.

Look in the power section and see the "Foggy fuel" thread for more relative reading.

I pump out (through the dip stick hole) and examine my fuel in more or less clear plastic jugs. I found my port tank fuel to be cloudy and plan to extract it and replace. But if yours is clear and free of water and "stuff" (other than clear fuel) I'd run it as OC Diver suggests. I was out for 2 1/2 years and am running the fuel in my port tank that is clear.

Just got off the hard for 11 months and the Lehmans fired right up. Topped off the fuel tanks and headed out. I monitored the fuel filters and all is good so far after running 5 hours one day and 3.5 the next. I did add some additive the mechanic at the yard recommended, not sure the brand. Not at the boat now.

After two years I would definitely put in new filters. No additive, just fire up, she'll run fine. After 15-30 minutes look in the filter bowls to make sure the fuel looks ok and there is no water or major sediment.

Thanks all,

I am running Cummins. No cloudy fuel through the sight gauges, so I will flash up and slip with extra filters and hope my next post is not from "the hook".

Best regards
Zoomie !

Your local fuel oil dealer will sell you a paste that can be stuck on a dip stick, or tape measure if the tank is harder to access.

A couple of bucks and IF you can get it to the bottom of the tank it will tell you how much -if any- water is present.

No water ? away you go. With a case of fuel filters as insurance.

If the fuel is very old , and was hot, it may turn very dark.

The fuel is clumping , trying to return to tar.

Very easy for the filters to stop , no problem.

Last edited:
don't fill the tanks. instead run them as low as possible then add only as muchas needed for the next trip. That way you will filter all your fuel faster thanif you continuously dilute the old fuel with new.

In cold winter Canada You probably wont have a problem unless there is water in the fuel.

The fuel in my Ocean Alexander is now three years old, the boat had Full tanks when we got her and they are down to 1/4-1/2 tank now on each side.

Still running the same racor filter I put in her when she transferred to us.. vac gauge shown no issue and bottom sample of the tanks shown clean fuel..

I am getting rid of the old fuel by burning it. just watch the filters and burn the stuff

HOLLYWOOD

I agree w bayview ... and HOLLYWOOD.

But the filter shouldn't be bad from sitting for a year. Unless it has considerable engine time on it I'd run it for a few hours before throwing it away then cut it apart and see what it stopped.

The paper filters do decay and can self destruct if left in fuel over time. Best to change them annually if you don't run lots of hours or gallons of fuel through them each year.

Via iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom