Types of fresh water pumps-your experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BryanF

Vessel Name
Florence A
Vessel Make
47' Sutton
So after 50 years of service the fresh water pump on Flo has quit working. Now, I could find parts and pieces and rebuild it but I am thinking of updating to a pump that does not take 3 weeks to get parts for. We have had a pressure tank on the current system and while I am happy with it I could always find something else to put in the space.
So... I am looking at the pumps that say they do not need a pressure tank but the question is without a pressure tank how smooth is the flow if you are in the shower?
Similar to a system with a pressure tank or is there a noticeable difference? Thanks Bryan

Our system is only 5 years old but still has an accumulator tank. It is not that large, for a 400 gallon fresh water tank, the accumulator tank is 4.4 gallons. We have two fresh water pumps, a 120 VAC Headhunter and a 24VDC Headhunter. They operate independently depending on the voltage available. The entire system has a 10 GPM pressure regulator that ensures even water flow. IMO, the system works better and ensures the even flow better with the accumulator tank rather than without one.

"So after 50 years of service the fresh water pump on Flo has quit working."

For a well used vessel thats fantastic. Just buy another .

The only pumps I know of with a similar service life is house well pumps that are 120V.

What brand is it?

We've been happy with our Headunter Mach V, it does need a accumulator though.

For longest life it is best if the system can maintain a prime.

Sucking is far more work than pushing , so a pump that is low enough that it only needs to lift once , and then is gravity fed will last longer.

While running out of water would be a PIA (manual re prime) , a pump like a centrifugal would probably last even longer .

A huge accumulator is always a help for pump life.

Think how long the circ pump on an engine lasts , with no care.

accumulator tank

We added an accumulator to our new to us 2006 last year. A big improvement in consistecy of flow and pump no longer "cycles" as often which should mean a longer life too. Leave the tank in.

Bryan, there are two types of pumps on the market that don't require accumulator tanks.
Jabsco uses an electronic controller to vary the speed of the motor to match the demand. If you open a faucet just a little, the pump runs slow. If you open the faucet all the way the pump runs fast.
ShurFlo uses a bypass system. The pump runs at full speed whenever there is a demand for water and excess water is diverted back to the intake of the pump. This system is purely mechanical.
Both types should give you a fairly smooth flow of water as they use multiple pump chambers.
My pump choice is a Groco Paragon Jr. Mine is close to thirty years old and has just required one pressure switch change.

I have used the Jabsco variable speed pump. It works very well and does not need (or want) an accumulator tank. That would be my choice.

David

I have the Jabsco variable speed pump also. No accumulator tank and the flow is steady.

Groco Paragon Jr.

We have a Groco Paragon Jr. pump and a 4+ gal accumulator. The pump has been very reliable and its going on 25 yrs. The pump is a bit noisy when it runs which is not very often due to the accumulator. Supplies home like water flow - consistent high pressure and even flow.

As David said the Jabsco variable speed pump doesn't like being connected to an accumulator tank. It seems to confuse them. When they first came out, people would hook them into existing systems without removing the accumulater tank and then say the pumps are bad. Now that we know to tell people to remove the tank, the pumps are suddenly a lot better. I don't know how a tank in the system would affect the ShurFlo pump, but it doesn't need it so get rid of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom