Oddities on the Dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THD

Guru
I was walking down the dock to the boat this morning and came across two odd boats, odd for different reasons. The first two shots are of a bow thruster, Sideshift. I have never heard of them. It certainly is an odd looking contraption. Oddly enough, it was on was only about a 28, maybe 30, foot boat.

The second was a recreational boat converted to a small crabber. I guess if your bow gets in the way of your crab trap winch, you just whack off a bit of the bow and glass it up!

Attachments

• Bow Thruster 1.jpg
    Bow Thruster 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Bow thruster 2.jpg
    Bow thruster 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Bow 1.jpg
    Bow 1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Bow 2.jpg
    Bow 2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 143
There are several external mounted bow thrusters around, they have been discussed on TF. I talked recently with the Australian agent for a Canadian manufacturer,they had not fitted one to a trawler because of drag,but recommend them for planing boats where the bow lifts the thruster out of the water.

The bow picker, rigged as a crabber was probably shortened to comply with fishery rules. I think Puget Sound commercial crabbing has a maximum vessel length. Seining in Alaska has had a 58 foot maximum for decades. It's not unusual to see a vessel pressed into service in a restricted fishery just get it's nose whacked off to meet the length restriction.

We were looking at those boats on Sunday- small world! They are a couple of docks over from us.....

That is a sideshift thruster on a Commander 26.

Interesting Ubolt connection through the bow eye.

Yes Spy and no holes may have been made in the hull for this as the wiring may be coming through a chain locker drain. My bow roller channel mounting is much the same.

chris-on-the-boat,
Indeed. And I think they build them this way. They want the biggest boat possible so they pick a boat a foot or so longer to build and build the bow as seen in your post. And they pick a deep fat boat also to whak off so the resulting boat can pack more fish.

Last edited:
When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was going to have a photo of me in a swim suit!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom