View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #126
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
My wife is an accountant, one that is highly qualified and valued at her work. Yet I doubt she ever did accounting by hand. Are you saying that accountants like her are less qualified than those that did accounting "by hand"?
No, I'm not suggesting by hand. I'm saying learned the basics of accounting. She could do it by hand, I'm sure, if she had to. She understands the entries she's making. I've seen people in small businesses who have no idea. You ask them about something and they say, "I don't know. The Computer did that." I've seen some crazy things done that a trained accountant like your wife would never do. Example: A small business set up in Quickbooks with an "Accountant" setting it all up for them. They were in Florida and yet deducting disability insurance from every employee's check based on the sample set up which I believe was based on New Jersey. They had done this for three years. A good portion of the purchase price of the business had to go to reimbursing all those employees.

It's not the mechanism you use, not computer vs. hand that is important, not electronic vs. paper. It's understanding what you're doing, why you're doing it, and how it works.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote