Florida to California via Panama Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwkiwi

Guru
Vessel Name
Takes Two
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
After doing the loop and hanging out on the Palm Coast of Florida we are researching taking our 49' Defever back to California. I have a quote of $31,500 to ship to Ensenada but of late have been thinking more of taking her on her own bottom.

Anyone out there actually done this trip on a trawler, I would appreciate routing, timing and other pertinent info from those who have made this trip.

Thanks in advance.

Gerald

I know 4 Nordhavns that have done it in the past year approximately. But I don't think any of them blogged about it.

What is your cruising range with a reasonable reserve. That will dictate what is possible and what is not. You will probably need a range of 500 NM minimum to make decent ocean legs and the ability to go 3-4 days at a time, round the clock. It is more than 4,000 NM from Miami to San Diego.

David

What is your cruising range with a reasonable reserve. That will dictate what is possible and what is not. You will probably need a range of 500 NM minimum to make decent ocean legs and the ability to go 3-4 days at a time, round the clock. It is more than 4,000 NM from Miami to San Diego.

David

Our range is 1800 miles less reserve percentage .

I have a friend that brought his from San Diego to Fla. 40 ft Bluewater trawler single FL 120 . He has completed the loop and in Fla. now . He's going to sell the 40 ft trawler in Fla. and purchase smaller trawler when back home in San Diego .

To and Thru the ditch is not a hassle.

The problem comes when running up the coast to the US Left coast.

Wind and current are not favorable unless you go WAY! out .

Sail has less problem as most motor boats do not have the range.

We did the trip from the West Coast to the East Coast. We took our time. San Diego to Florida took us 5 years. We have fuel for a 2000+ mile range but you can do it easily with a range of 750 miles including a reserve and generator run time. We ran the coast and our longest passage was just over 48 hours with maybe 12 over-nighters and the rest day hops. Morgan (ak the Captain) likes to get to shore a couple of times a day if possible.

If you need to go back to the states or do land travel, there are many places that you can securely leave the boat. Seasonal weather is a consideration but with a little planning it can be a pleasant ride. The two areas on the West Coast you need to pay attention to are the Popaguyos off of Costa Rico and the Golf of Tehuantepec between Mexico and Guatemala. The winds can be near hurricane force but with today's weather forecasting, the winds are easy to avoid.

A couple of very good cruising guides for the trip are written by Eric Baicy/Sherrell Watson and Captain Pat Rains.

Cruising Guidebooks For Central America | Always Up-to-date

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Ports-Central-American-Route/dp/0963847023

It's a trip we highly recommend. The people, culture, food and history is not to be missed. :thumb:

EDIT: You can get all the above cruising guides for les than $100. They both talk about seasons, fuel, stops weather etc. There are also 2 Yahoo groups that have information about the areas you'll be passing through.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Cruisers_Network_Online/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbound_group/info

More EDIT: Bob and Elaine on Mar Azul, a Defever 44 did the Caribbean loop which included Panama to FL. Here's their link:

https://marazuladventures.wordpress.com/about/

Last edited:
?Habla Espanol. DeFever es perfecto.

After doing the loop and hanging out on the Palm Coast of Florida we are researching taking our 49' Defever back to California. I have a quote of $31,500 to ship to Ensenada but of late have been thinking more of taking her on her own bottom.

Anyone out there actually done this trip on a trawler, I would appreciate routing, timing and other pertinent info from those who have made this trip.

Thanks in advance.

Gerald

I can put you in touch with the owner of a boat that is finishing up that trip as I type, they are scheduled to arrive in Ensenada tomorrow after running up from cabo. They left Florida at the end of January.
PM me if you wish to contact them.
HOLLYWOOD

Our own TF member PTLones is making that trip right now on Oasis - his KK54. He just passed through he Panama Canal yesterday. His final destination is Seattle. When he get's done perhaps he'll connect with you. I'm in contact with him and can let him know you're interested to find out more - he's probably not checking TF that much right now!

Richard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom