View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
JDCAVE
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Stanchion on top of cap rail

So last year I go through the process of stripping and refinishing the caprail with 2 coats cetol natural teal and 8 coats of Cetol Marine gloss. One wet winter later and the finish has failed at several of the joints. The freeze-thaw cycle is suspect was responsible. Kadey Krogen now uses a wider joint that is caulked with one of the 3M products similar to Black Sikka 291. So I'm going to try this approach by cutting out the joint, and in the process I have removed two stantions on each side on the foredeck to get access to the joints. In doing so, the culprit for the failure of that's year's refinishing is revealed as a considerable amount of water ran out of each stantion when they were released from the caprail:

...the stantions pipe water that is running off the hand rail down to the caprail joint, where it is held in place by the caulking at the base of the stantion. The joints become saturated with water and the finish fails.

I'm thinking of getting a channel ground on the underside of the stantion to let the water pass out the bottom. Another option might be to seal both ends, but there's also a loop through the mid part of the stantion that can also let in water and that would have to be sealed as well. Thoughts?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote