Leaking S/S water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baja Bruce

Vessel Name
Lionheart
Vessel Make
54 Defever PH
I have a 2000 Defever PH which has developed pin hole leaks in the water tanks (2 x 200 Gal.) What are my options as I dont really want to remove a substantial portion of the sole to remove (Replace or repair) them. They do have three 12" inspection plates on one side (Of each tank) but the back and bottoms can not be viewed. Anyone know if these tanks are baffled ?

I'd contact a local welder to come look at it. If he can access it he can repair it in place.

I helped a friend with a similar problem. His tanks had failed at the spot welds that held the baffles. They had been made of 316 but not 316L stainless. If that is true in your case, then welding will not make a lasting repair because it destroys the stainless property of the steel. Perhaps the holes could be silver soldered or patched with Por15 paste if they are assessable.

With 3 inspection ports, I'd be surprised if tank didn't have baffles.

Can you see any discoloration on the outside of the tanks(s) in-between the inspection ports? If there is, that may be where the baffles were welded to the interior walls.

If it was me, I'd open up the inspection ports see what the insides look like. You'll need to any way.

We had a leaking SS water tank on our last boat. We were able to remove the tank and found a few pin hole leaks along a bottom seam. We had a 1.5" by 3' piece of angle iron welded along the outside of the seam. I have been told that the leak was not a surprise on SS water tanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom