Carey
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Radio protocol

Quote:
Baker wrote:

My biggest pet peeve is when the USCG provides emergency information about a vessel in distress and then they give you the lat and lon...and that is all. It would be very nice and very conveneient and MUCH more effective if, after they gave your the coordinates, give you an estimated position in English....like "....xx.xxxN....xxx.xxxW....or 25 miles SSW of Galveston....something like that. I'm sorry, but I am not gonna get out the chart every time I hear one of these....and we hear them all the time down here. I MIGHT look at my chartplotter and try to interpolate approx where they are at....I might not.

In ref to "over"....I think it has evolved more into a question as in..."Did you hear what I just said"....usually used on the second transmission after the receiving party missed the first transmission. It is more necessary when you are using "worse" means of communication....like HF radio.

I agree, I am a stickler for proper radio protocol(especially in an aircraft)...or at the very least, a consideration for the purpose of the radio.

And there is no way the Alaskan fishing fleet can be any worse than the towboat Captains down here on the Gulf coast. They are mostly cajun and don't even speak English!!!!
I totally agree on the CGs inability to provide points of reference. A simple two miles south of point A, or such and such bay, with a likely drift to the east due to wind and current wouldn't hurt a bit. The other thing that urks me with their broadcasts is their inability to provide local time of a reported incident. Who the hell knows Zulu time? Why do I need to do conversions. Everyone within earshot of their broadcast is in the same or adjacent time zone. Tell me the time in Pacific time, Mountain time, etc.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote