Talk about "seems too good to be true"....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 40006Here is a more recent picture.:thumb:

And if you wire me $15,000. Not only do you save $4,000, but you avoid all those legal complications of having to move the boat.:dance:

someone missed the boat...
they should of listed this one as a submarine..

HOLLYWOOD

As far as I know, the cost of the haul out and/or survey always fall on the buyer, whether he buys the boat or not. At least that has been our experience here in TX.

Bob

Agree. It's not paying for the haulout I would object to if I were interested in this boat. It's paying $1900 for a haulout.

Reactions: Art
Look at it this way, normally when you make an offer on a boat you put down 10% earnest money, $1900 in this case. Then you pay for the haul out and/or survey. If you buy the boat the earnest money is applied to the price of the boat but you are still out the haul out/survey cost. In his case, if you buy the boat he applies the $1900 to the purchase price and the haul out was free. Sounds like a deal to me.

Not sure about the requirement for an all cash transaction, that would give me some cause for concern.

Bob

How many boats built in 1918 have you seen around? Most have been in the boneyard for years now. How many fiberglass boats built in the 1970's will still be around in another 50 years?

Look at it this way, normally when you make an offer on a boat you put down 10% earnest money, $1900 in this case. Then you pay for the haul out and/or survey. If you buy the boat the earnest money is applied to the price of the boat but you are still out the haul out/survey cost. In his case, if you buy the boat he applies the $1900 to the purchase price and the haul out was free. Sounds like a deal to me.

Not sure about the requirement for an all cash transaction, that would give me some cause for concern.

Bob

I hear you, Bob, but the earnest money is usually refundable pending a clean survey or any other reason mutually agreed to in the purchase offer. This seems designed to make it harder for a prospective buyer to walk away. A short haul should be a few hundred bucks which, if I were interested in the boat, I'd expect to pay. But I'd never agree to terms like these. Rather not pay almost $2K for the privilege of finding out the planks are soft or the hull is hogged, should that be the case.

Like to hear from a broker if this kind of arrangement seems fair to buyers.

$1900 for a haul out?! The not-inexpensive boatyard (in the very expensive, i.e. San Francisco Bay Area) I employ charges $12 a foot for haul out, power wash, and return to water. For a 49-fot boat, that's $588!

Location, location, location. When we bought our current boat, 38', the haul out was over $600, no power wash included. It was the only travel lift, and I use the term loosely, within about 100 miles.

I agree, if the purchase doesn't go through the earnest money is returned. But you're still out the haul out/survey fee.

Bob

Last edited:
From the way I understand it, the 1900 would pay haul and a bottom job if the boat was purchased. That would have to be in writing in my opinion.

From the way I understand it, the 1900 would pay haul and a bottom job if the boat was purchased. That would have to be in writing in my opinion.

It's in writing (post 25), just not on a signed purchase offer. :). Might be nice if all the hull needs is scraping and painting. But if it needs more work than a buyer wants to put in, he or she is out 1900 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom