Cav Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowandsteady

Vessel Make
Mainship 34 III
I have a Cav filter with a fuel line coming from each tank, one line going to the genset and one going to a Racor 500FG which in turn goes to a the Perkins engine with 2 fuel filters on it. There are no numbers on the housing and I wonder where I can get the right replacement cartridge for it. I guess it's the only fuel filter for the genset and I better address it. But it seems like a lot of filters for the Perkins. Shouldn't the fuel for the genset go through the Racor too?

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 60
Perkins sell a branded CAV type filter here, not pricey either. I suggested to my mechanic keeping existing filters while fitting Racors, he said no, too much load on the fuel pump.
CAV filters I`ve seen have a glass bowl so you see the muck and water, that one looks like it has been around a while, not everyone likes glass bowls either, I carry a spare bowl for my Racors just in case. Could be a fairly high micron, to act as a simple filter/water separator. But as shows above, mechanics are the best ones to answer.
Your genset probably has its own filter on the engine, my Onan does, and it has a drain in it.

Back
Top Bottom