Cleaning problem or permanent damage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gilhooley

Veteran Member
I'm trying to spiff up a dingy that came with my Nordic Tug and am encountering things for the first time. Can someone tell me if this is a cleanable problem, or is permanent wear or sun damage? If it's cleanable, I'm not finding the right magic yet.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20150507_200908.jpg
    20150507_200908.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 165
Greetings,
Mr. G. Can't tell from the picture but try citrus hand cleaner (Orange Glo?). Worked like a charm on our shore power cord. If it doesn't work, it's still handy to have aboard.
Further: Just had a thought...Our AB dink was discolored as a result of sitting on its side on dirt for about 4 months. I took the cover off about 3 weeks ago to clean it up and never got around to it so it sat in the bright Florida sun and baked. Went to cover it today and noticed it's all the same color now. Maybe a cleaning and a sun bleach might fix it...

Last edited:
You might get a some or a lot of that off. But it looks like mold to me. And in many cases you can't get it all out.

Hand cleaner works as do degreaser and Magic Erasers.

Can't tell what it is from the pic but it looks like mold or maybe a long shot... Jet fuel from overhead airport traffic. If it's hypalon you might try bleach first and if that doesn't work a solvent like mineral spirits might loosen it up.

Via iPhone.

Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" worked on ours.

I use black streak remover and magic erasers.

How do you clean a power cord? I know, thread drift.

Use mineral spirits, you must be wearing boat shoes for it to be effective though.

Hmm, I'll see if there is a local boat show.

Greetings,
Mr. hm. Get some GoJo or other citrus type hand cleaner, put it on a wet rag and rub it along the cord and rinse off. Picked that tip up right here on TF. Thanks to whoever suggested it....I forget now.

th

Try cleaning the cord by soaking it overnight in a 5 gal pail with a high strength mixture of water and TSP. It is then very easy to rub clean with a Scotch-Bright Heavy Duty scour pad or something similar. It is best to use rubber gloves if your hands are getting wet.

How do you clean a power cord? I know, thread drift.

The absolute best way to clean a ground power cord--- and we tried all sorts of things from citrus cleaners to "purpose made" cable and fender cleaners--- is GoJo. The original version with pumice in it. The one without pumice, or the citrus-y orange version they make, doesn't cut it in our experience.

This was actually a tip from a former member of this forum from several years ago. We tried it, and it's terrific.

It's also ideal for cleaning off dirty, scummy fenders.

Now if the cord or fender material is actually stained--- something has gotten down inside the rubber or vinyl or whatever they're made of--- pretty much nothing will lift that out except maybe weathering or UV or whatever as described by RT.

But if the problem is gooey, sticky dirt that's built up over time which was the case with our cable, GoJo takes that off completely. It's not a wipe-on, wipe-off process. It takes some effort to do it. But it works and it leaves no stickiness behind, nor does it attack the cable coating and make it a bit tacky, which simply attracts dirt again.

GoJo (with pumice) is terrific. A number of years ago we (Boeing) started using it in the washrooms in all our manufacturing and assembly buildings.

Spray nine purchased at Auto Zone did a great job on our dingy.

Ray

How about Oxyclean ?.. has work on vinyl seat cushions with mold spots for me in the past
HOLLYWOOD

Leave it out in the bright sun for a few days. You may find the sun cures much of your problem.

Thanks all for the cord cleaning tips. Going to give GoJo a try.

Magic eraser didn't product any change in appearance. I've already hit it with Castrol Superclean and some citric stuff. I guess this is how the thing looks now. Thank you all for taking a swing.

As to my shore power cords, I used super clean... an initial soak with the ends out of the tub... I then went down the cord with a 3M pad and used a detail brush (big tooth brush) and 3M pad to clean up the ends. Rinsed it and then ran some plastic conditioner (just little wipes I use on my dashboard) to re-plasticize the surface. Turned out great.

Wonder cleaner

We discovered a cleaner that works better than any thing else we have ever used: "Z-Care". It really does the job. Pretty sure it will take care of your problem.

Capt Bill, Never heard of marine strip, what is it? looks amazing.

It works very well. It's not a miracle product. And it took some elbow grease and Scotch Brite pads to get those cords that clean. But I don't know of any other product that could have gotten those cords that clean.

I just cleaned our Novurania which I believe is Hypalon. Previous owners health issue had left it in the elements for three years before I aquired it. I used West Marines Inflatable cleaner, Dawn, bleach and three tries with the Magic Erasor. Finally it was almost new looking. I then used two coats of WM's Inflatable Protector stuff and it is looking good and even shines a bit. The chalk and most of the mold stains are gone. It was a good bit of work but it's doable. I've heard Aurora has a good restoration product also. Now we keep it covered.

Back
Top Bottom