Talk about "seems too good to be true"....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"A WOODEN BOAT ! NO problem!"

I have a bridge in Brooklyn thats a great deal!

$1,900 for a haulout, forfeited if you don't buy??? Cash only; no checks?

What could possibly go wrong with a deal like this??? :rolleyes:

It would make a good project for someone. It has nice lines. I could not get past the wood. Too many days as a kid sanding my fathers 1964 26' christ craft? I hated sanded and painting for several weekends berfore we could use the boat?

1974 Edwin Monk PILOTHOUSE TRAWLER, 49'-

If it were even half what it says I would be tempted to purchase it as a disposable boat just for the learning experience. You cant buy a cheap car for that price hardly. Would probably be a lesson in boat maintenance and repair for sure.

If you're looking for an inexpensive trawler as a learning experience, I have a 1974 Marine Trader 34' that I would be willing to part with for that sort of money. She floats and runs but does exhibit all the bad characteristics of a 41 year old Taiwan Tub - leaky decks and house. All the water in the bilge comes in from above the waterline! :)

I have owned a couple wood boats going back to when this one would have been new. It might be reasonable to say that a wood boat has half the useful life of a fiberglass boat. Using that as a guide we can say a wood boat ages 2 years for every one year a glass boat does. So a 1974 wood boat could be said to be 82 years old in "wood boat years". I know I am going to upset some wood boat owners but that is just my opinion based on experience. I love wood boats but would never want to own another. If I were 21 years old again, perhaps!

i would say that whoever buys it will have to go into with eyes wide open knowing what lies ahead of them.

Greetings,
But, but...the equipment ALONE is worth the asking price...
Sure. Only worth as much as you can sell it for and someone willing to buy it. Not saying the boat is NOT worth the asking price but the description is a little over the top. Written by a salesman or politician? Wait..what? They're both the same.
Don't tell me what a good deal I'm getting. State the facts and I'll decide whether or not it's a good deal. I can see some starry eyed dreamer thinking he's buying into the best investment of his life...Realistically, depending on the REAL condition, it may be a good boat for someone.

I did not see the re fastening history. But for $19k purchase and a below waterline 2 layer 1/4 in plywood and roof cement layer treatment would give the old girl up to another 20 years as outlined in George Buheller "The Troller Yacht". This process is cheap.

Very interesting and attractive.

Parts probably add up to $35K alone.
Tend to agree with Mule, get a bottom seal with epoxy or roof cement?, and you are good to go.

A real deal if you have more time than money....

If it wasn't for my wife I would probably own a wooden boat .Thank God she is around to hold me back. I love wood ,I'm a woodworker ,I work for hardwood lumber company and I seem to like working on boats . Yeah I got it bad . Just the rebuilding alone that we have been doing on our trawler has been a bunch of work and it's fiberglass. We are getting close with all the major stuff that we can do ourselves. It's been fun but it's not been easy and it get's into the time we have to enjoy the boat . If one of you gets burned out during the process of rework it can make it a real challenge .The deeper you dig the more you find. Lots to think about before diving into a project ,but I like Mule like the George Buehler approach to boat building Get it done ,use local materials if you can and use the boat.Have fun with your search .

<snip>She was designed by Edwin Monk, the famous boat architect and designer, having been outfitted with premium engines, transmissions, etc., for use by Edwin Monk!</snip>

Seems like I read this statement a lot with regards to these old Monk boats. He did live on Nan, a boat he built for himself in the 1930's.

This one somewhat resembles Lee Ann.
Lee Ann

More of his designs here:
Ed Monk Boat CLub Index

Ed Monk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Caio worth buying? Only a comprehensive survey could answer that! I would suspect dropping at least another 40 boat bucks into her to get her cruise ready. But that's a lot of boat for 60k.

What's w all this "wooden" boat talk. Just say "wood" boat. What's the "en" for. When metal toys came along they refered to wood toys as "wooden" toys. As in not very substantial. Substandard. Not long lasting. Cheap. Ect.

But the wood boat is better than a FG boat. Stronger, quieter ect. It's the owners that are substandard. Why is everybody so afraid of sanding and painting? Yea I know. You'd rather be ding other things .. like playing. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" ... in my opinion all play and no work makes Jack a worthless sot w little pride and satisfaction.

If I was younger I'd take advantage of the deals created by the "wood boats are too much work" attitude. They are faster, look better, ride better and require a good man to maintain them. I know one good man here .. Matt w his Axe. He has what it takes to keep a wood boat. Lots of others do too but don't know it .... and won't either till they do it. And then there's those that build a wood boat and maintain it. Most people just buy plastic boats and keep them like kids now keep their plastic toys ... all over the yard and kick them out of the way if a bit of need arises.

Having said all that it's only half true. Plastic is easy. But the rewards are not as great.

Yea yea I know .. I do have a plastic boat.

(thread creep warning!)

While we are on this topic....

I have been meaning to bring this up. Much like the maligning of Bayliners, I see a fair number of nicer wood boats being epoxy/glassed on their bottoms in the belief that it will greatly reduce maintenance and extend their working life.

I see a lot of criticism of this, but like Bayliners, no one comes through with hard facts (that I have see) to show that this procedure is a total waste of time and money.

Although, I can admit that fiberglass on wood might not be ideal, to get another 20 years out of an otherwise problematic wood hull for a reasonable cost does not seem to be that far out of line.

As pointed out earlier, there are a lot of great wood boats to be had out there on the cheap because of the fear and hesitation of all the ongoing maintenance.

Does anyone have hard facts that prove that a f/g of the wood hull will not be cost effective over 20 years?

I'm in Biloxi. Never seen this boat. Wonder where it's hiding as those pictures are of no marina around here.

"The monthly cost to maintain this boat over a 4 year period, above and below the waterline, is about $75 per month, excluding machinery. T"

Sounds like it's been very well maintained. :lol::rofl:

I'm in Biloxi. Never seen this boat. Wonder where it's hiding as those pictures are of no marina around here.

From the ad:

"The main picture in this ad was taken at Joe Wheeler State Park in December 2012"

I wooden own a wood boat!!

From the ad:

"The main picture in this ad was taken at Joe Wheeler State Park in December 2012"

I wooden own a wood boat!!

That's why it's a AS IS, WHERE IS Deal. In cash, NOT even at the boat, but at the bank, so the buyer can't resort to violence, when he hears The REST OF THE STORY.

I found a more recent picture

20131217_125543.jpgHere is a more recent picture.:thumb:

And if you wire me $15,000. Not only do you save $4,000, but you avoid all those legal complications of having to move the boat.:dance:

The boat is at the schooner wharf. We were on the coast today bumming around the marinas looking at boats (research! :) and happen to see it. We walked out and gave it a cursory look see...beautiful lines. Don't know how the bottom looks but the hull above the waterline looked ok at first glance. The decks looked well taken care of but the cabin paint was tired looking. I don't have cash ready for boat purchase just yet so we didnt inquire any further. Also saw a couple boats for sale at the Biloxi Small craft harbor. Shot the bull with the harbor master at Point Cadet also, he seems like a real nice fellow. Everyday I am getting more ready to get off the dirt!!

I have owned a couple wood boats going back to when this one would have been new. It might be reasonable to say that a wood boat has half the useful life of a fiberglass boat. Using that as a guide we can say a wood boat ages 2 years for every one year a glass boat does. So a 1974 wood boat could be said to be 82 years old in "wood boat years". I know I am going to upset some wood boat owners but that is just my opinion based on experience. I love wood boats but would never want to own another. If I were 21 years old again, perhaps!

Well put - jw!

The boat may have value for someone, but the terms--unless I'm missing something--are unjustifiable: a $1900 haulout, forfeited if you don't follow through on the purchase no matter what you discover below the waterline?

###### THE TERMS FOR PRE-PURCHASE HAUL OUT AND INSPECTION OF CIAO If you want to have Ciao hauled out for your personal, pre-purchase inspection below the waterline, pay me $1,900 cash and I will have the boat hauled out at Pitalo's in Gautier, MS promptly, weather permitting. If you decide to purchase this boat after your inspection, the $1,900 will be applied in full toward the total cost of the bottom job described herein (option #4) for YOUR benefit. BUT, if you fail to complete the purchase transaction of Ciao with full payment of the purchase price stated herein within the 7 free days included for the boat bottom job work on the yard, for ANY REASON after the haul out, you shall forfeit the $1,900 payment.

"Why is everybody so afraid of sanding and painting? Yea I know."

Its not the work , of sanding and painting , it is the REQUIREMENT that any leak, and single drop if water must Immediately be traced to the source and be repaired.

A drip on a plastic or metal boat can be repaired , eventually , with no harm.( unless its into your bunk!)

On a woody any delay can mean actual repair , like a new plank, may be required from any leak.

Wet wood does not rot , dry wood does not rot , but the transition from wet to dry goes thru the ROT zone , and must be avoided.

So "needing a bit of paint in spots" , can mean planking or rib replacement , under the paint.

Last edited:
What's w all this "wooden" boat talk. Just say "wood" boat. What's the "en" for. When metal toys came along they refered to wood toys as "wooden" toys. As in not very substantial. Substandard. Not long lasting. Cheap. Ect.

"WoodenBoat Magazine", "WoodenBoat School", "Wooden Boat Festival", and the "Center for Wooden Boats" all "wood" disagree.

It is probably more than I would want to take on as a first boat but it may make someone a nice classic boat if they don't mind the work. I agree the terms seem weird...How bout the buyer pay for haul out and then the guy just come down 1900 on price??? Maybe the boatyard owes the guy some money or something? Regardless I doubt I investigate further.

As far as I know, the cost of the haul out and/or survey always fall on the buyer, whether he buys the boat or not. At least that has been our experience here in TX.

Bob

Some of this post is a little off “boating” topic… but otherwise it’s on the mark… regarding wood rot, care, replacement, … in circumstances regarding wooden constructed boats.

When young; having spent many years working in boat yards in NY and Maine on wood boats, as well as being my dad’s right-hand-maintainer of our family’s several wood boats, I can attest to the fact that items built of wood can last virtually forever if ample diligence for care and wood (as well as fastener and paint/varnish) replacement schedules are well adhered to. Currently owning and often using really well constructed 1977 fiberglass Tollycraft tri cabin and a 1975 Crestliner tow behind runabout (as well as having had several other well built fiberglass boats previously) I can attest that caring for a wood boat is approximately 4X more effort than caring for fiberglass.

Soooo… here’s the off “boating” topic part regarding wood… but still on the mark - regarding wood rot, care, replacement.

We live in extremely rural area (town’s population amounts to 313 P.O. Boxes; no street address mail delivery. We’re just 40 minutes north of SF, CA with property/house/etc on the side of what could be called a small mountain (tall hill side – if you will). There are upper and lower one lane roads. Portion where house sits (down a bit off upper road) averages more than 7/12 pitch to the lower land area that somewhat flattens to meet the lower road (steep driveway carved in there to a sizable dozed flat land area below house, between roads. For a parking area (wood deck) aside and above house (22 stair steps to house porch/door is a 55 year old massive wood constructed parking platform that abuts and is firmly tied into the top and face of huge concrete retainer at edge of upper road. Steps from lower road to upper road elevation counts at 175 + +.

Anyway – back to wood rot, care, replacement:

The parking deck (beginning at level with upper road) can accept four large vehicles as well as storage shed(s)/boxes. Downhill end of deck has 14’ tall 6” x 6” posts that meet Simpson ties at 6” x 10” girders. There are four 32’ girders having 5 rows of same dimension posts whose length decreases toward concrete retainer at upper road, as well, much cored fasteners to retainer-wall and several alternating position sheer strengthener 2” x 12” angled planks and gussets etc for posts to girder/beams that support 16” o.c. 2” x 10” joists with 2” x “12 planking and wood guard rails on three sides of deck . Circumstance is - - > when originally constructed in 1960 this deck was built exclusively of Doug Fir… therefore no matter how diligently copper green has-been/is applied rot eventually takes over.

Sooo… I just want to say that – recently I had my crew do another substantial rot preventative and wood replacement sequence on this deck. I estimate that due to rot repair and preventative doings over the last 30 years (repairs happen about once every 7 years - as the remaining Doug Fir wood eventually fails, i.e. rots) that the deck is now approaching 70% content of all pressure treated wood parts.

The above wood rot story and my above that heritage of spending years working on wood boats enables me to knowledgably make this point: Anything made of wood can be replaced part by part over the decades. That Said - Eventually… nearly every piece of wood on a wood boat will need major maintenance or complete replacement. Whereas… well-built fiberglass boat parts will not – End of Story! ;)

Happy Boat-Material Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom