Californian Fuel and Vent Lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frgeorgeh

Vessel Name
Ten Knots
Vessel Make
42' Californian LRC
Took some pics of the fuel lines and vent hoses this morning. Seems strange to me that vent hose comes out at bottom of the tank. It then is looped above the tank and runs back down to exit overboard out the transom below the swim platform.

Why wouldn't one vent from top of the tank? No wonder they burp fuel all over the place!

Someone please educate me ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431099792.096912.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431099806.548231.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431099819.217284.jpg

We too have an issue with fuel coming out of the vent line while fueling. It makes fueling really slow. When referring to burping is this what you are speaking of or is it coming out the filler neck. We have that issue also if we fuel to fast.

Since on our boat one tank is in the lazarette and the other tank is under the master queen berth the hoses are hard to reach. If its just an issue of routing the vent hose then it should be an easy fix if we can get to them.

We too have an issue with fuel coming out of the vent line while fueling. It makes fueling really slow. When referring to burping is this what you are speaking of or is it coming out the filler neck. We have that issue also if we fuel to fast.

Since on our boat one tank is in the lazarette and the other tank is under the master queen berth the hoses are hard to reach. If its just an issue of routing the vent hose then it should be an easy fix if we can get to them.

Capt Jon, when I say burping I am referring to fuel being spit out of the vents into the water.

Same here though. We have to fuel very slowly and it is a pain. And now I see I couldn't get any kind of catch device under those cents even if I wanted too. They lie 3' under swim platform.

Maybe this goes on the things to do during haul out list.

Wow I would change that. I can see fooling seas putting water directly into your tank. When you move them, move them to the highest possible place with a good loop.

After second look the vents and fill seem to be near top of tank. Still seems strange vent overboard is so low

Ordering 4 tank Tank Tender tomorrow. Gots to know wats em dem tanks!

Thinking of making a video of install. Any interest in a Ten Knots production?

On our 42 we have four vents under the swim step as well only they are all plugged off in pairs with a length of hose connecting one to the other. The new vents were located up high on the port side just under the rub railing. Still they burp out fuel when filling. The vent lines coming from the tank are looped up high to catch moisture but they likely catch fuel vapor when the temperature is up and hence the burping.

Our boat has 5 fuel tanks . One 150 gal , two 55 gal and two 75 gal . When I first bought the boat I was having a hard time figuring out all the fuel and vent lines . The third time out I ran out of fuel . I was pulling from a tank that I thought had plenty of fuel but was wrong . I was pulling from one tank and returning to another tank that was almost full . I emptied one tank and overfilled the other to the point of fuel coming out of the vent . THAT WAS THE DAY I JOINED TF . I felt stupid :facepalm:but the good old guys here helped me see what my problem was .If you have more than one tank make sure you are returning to the same tank you're sucking from .

Last edited:
Our boat has 5 fuel tanks . One 150 gal , two 55 gal and two 75 gal . When I first bought the boat I was having a hard time figuring out all the fuel and vent lines . The third time out I ran out of fuel . I was pulling from a tank that I thought had plenty of fuel but was wrong . I was pulling from one tank and returning to another tank that was almost full . I emptied one tank and overfilled the other to the point of fuel coming out of the vent . THAT WAS THE DAY I JOINED TF . I felt stupid :facepalm:but the good old guys here helped me see what my problem was .If you have more than one tank make sure you are returning to the same tank you're sucking from .

Do you really need all those fuel tanks?

Do you really need all those fuel tanks?
No I don't need all the tanks . Originally it was a work boat and needed the fuel capacity . The PO used to take the boat to the Bahamas and would fill up before leaving .Four of the five tanks are fairly new . One is a dedicated tank to the generator . I put fuel in the 150 gal tank then polish it and send it to one of the other tanks for operating . The 150 gal tank is not plumbed to the engine , just to the polish system.

Took some pics of the fuel lines and vent hoses this morning. Seems strange to me that vent hose comes out at bottom of the tank. It then is looped above the tank and runs back down to exit overboard out the transom below the swim platform.
That was a typical install in the early Californian trawlers. I guess it was back in the days when a little fuel burping into the water was not a big deal. Times have changed, so now I stand on the swim step and listen for the first sounds of fuel rising in the vent line to cut it off!!
On my third week in Spain, traveled up the coast by train from Valencia to Barcelona and back. Saw no Californians, actually no trawlers, and very few boats outside of marinas. This part of the Mediterranean is beautiful, but not much recreational boating actvity? Just a few sailboats for the most part.
Missing my LRC :-(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150516_103032.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150516_103032.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 90
I broke down and ordered TankTender for the 4 tanks. It will be nice to know exactly what is in them.

Guess I will have to redo those vent lines next haul out

Tank Tender arrived. Hope to install it tomorrow. Already made gal/inch calculations. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432580286.445951.jpg

Tank tender installed except for the lines from tanks to pa else. Turns out I need a four ft 1/4 drill bit. Had plenty back in my burglar and fire alarm Install days. Go figure I'd need one now!

:thumb: I'm happily using the Tank Tender to monitor two water and four fuel tanks.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. "...Go figure I'd need one now!". Hahahaha......I'm NOT laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. You've only had your vessel a short time and thus far have experienced at least a couple of years worth of trials and tribulations. I think you'll find ongoing "Gee whizzes" and "Dad-gummets" to be the order of the day on occasion. Keep at it my friend, I can tell from your postings, you're batting about 900...

Tank Tender all done. Really an easy install but let me give this advise:

1) take careful consideration how you will get the plastic tubes from tank to panel. In my case, all easy except having to drill down into bilge within 1/4" of my diesel tanks! All turns must be smooth; no kinks, no pinching.

2) GENTLEMEN! Read the instructions first! I know. I know. Goes against all our manly instincts but, in this case, PLEASE go hide some where and read them.

All said and done, I feel happy about the install. No more guessing on fuel so one less thing for me to worry about on a passage.

The Calculations I made were right on the money at the panel first time I tested. And now? A well deserved Captains hour or three!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432742852.932196.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432742881.321305.jpg

Now where's the cleaning lady?!?!?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432742930.129412.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom