View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
Scary
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
You said one pumps more than the other

I'm guessing you have exhaust risers. The sea water flows through engine and transmission oil coolers first then on to your engine heat exchanger, from there it flows in most cases to your exhaust risers. Some fresh water boats use sea water to cool the exhaust manifold but most fresh water cooled boats do not. If you do not have a infrared thermometer, this is a good time to get one. Often agt some point a raw water pump impeller fails and small parts flow up into the oil cooler and partially block flow. After checking you sea strainer for blockage, and that the hose supplying the pump is not collapsing or coming apart internally, I would check your first oil cooler for blockage. If these are clear it is easy to check your engine heat exchanger by removing the end caps and rodding out the tubes. Sea water flows through the exposed tubes. From here the water normally travels to the exhaust risers, cooling the riser and then sprayed into the exhaust gasses. You should be able to hold your hand on the riser without getting burned. I think your heat exchanger is probably not your problem, my guess is a badly rusted exhaust riser or blockage at your first cooler.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote